WW2 hybrids...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Geedee

Senior Master Sergeant
Dec 5, 2008

Last edited:
Westland P.12 Lysander - Delanne Tail

Hlysan_mod.jpeg

Supermarine/Daimler-Benz Spitfire

Hdbspit_1.jpeg

Unreal Aircraft - Hybrid Aircraft

And of course the Merlin engined BF-109 (Hispano HA-1112-M1L)

DSC_0904%20HA-1112%20M1L%20MX109AW%20right%20side%20in%20flight%20l.jpg

There was also the 'slip-wing' Hurrucane, with a jettisonable 'biplane' wing, and the 'air-tow' Spitfire, the latter designed to tow a long-range fuel tank!
And of course the 'prone pilot' Meteor. Got pics somewhere of these, but can't locate them at the moment!

i have also seen pictures of a Me 109 fuselage with Me 262 wings and engines.. a testbed for the wings and engines in the eraly stages of construction of the 262.. wills ee if i can refind the pics in our museums archive

GF

B-38 - B-17 with Allison Engines.

BTW - the photos came from aerofiles who put a copyright on US Government photos - piss on you!

Attachments

• boe-b38.jpg
    boe-b38.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 98
The description posted by Junkers88A1 sounds more like the image posted below, this was based on the Me155 with the nosewheel of the Me309 ( and possibly the nosecone of the Bf 110?) but still has very much got the look of a 109 crossed with a 262.

It was not a testbed, but was intended as a quick and cheap alternative to the 262, however it was never built because it was realised it would be neither of those things.

Image155j.jpg

B-38 - B-17 with Allison Engines.

BTW - the photos came from aerofiles who put a copyright on US Government photos - piss on you!

From what I remember/understand, this experiment was done because of a concern of a shortage of Wright Cyclone engines. That shortage never materialized so they dropped the plane. The plane however, was something like 15 mph faster.

In my own twisted mind, I think that they should have used this aircraft as the YB-40. The YB-40 could not keep up with the B-17s after the B-17s dropped their bombs due to their extra weight. With the Allison engines they might have been able to keep up.

I think you are right waynos :) thats the one i saw a picture of :) i think one was buildt but not sure..as i saw a pictre that i was sure was a 109 with the 262 wings ..but the picture was old and not very clear !! we have it somewhere in trhe museums archive..will see if i find it one day when looking thru the pics :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back