WW2 Japenese instruments

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by OZFrog, Sep 23, 2013.

1. OZFrog

OZFrog New Member

G'day all I have two instruments from a Japanese plane and was wondering if, from the serial numbers, I can find out what plane they were fitted to and where that plane was lost, ultimately finding out how my Grand Father came to have them in his possession as he was in command of the Adelaide during WW2?

2. mhuxt

mhuxt Active Member

Hi OzFrog,

In my experience, the serial number of the individual aircraft doesn't appear on the instruments fitted into it.

Best you *might* be able to do is determine what type of aircraft it was, however in many cases instrumentation was standard. If there is any kind of manufacturer's plate/label on the instruments, you might have a chance of determining the aircraft type, but as noted it's not certain.

3. fubar57

fubar57 Well-Known Member

Heavy Equipment Operator
    Could you post photos of the instruments? Many smart people here who could identify them or point you in the right direction.

Geo

4. OZFrog

OZFrog New Member

Thanks Blokes, I will do just that and post the pics.

5. OZFrog

OZFrog New Member

IMGP0878a.jpg IMGP0881a.jpg There we go. Not as clear as I had hoped but I think you get the picture (no pun intended )

6. mhuxt

mhuxt Active Member

Thanks for posting the photos. Are there any tags, labels, plates etc on the back?

7. Aozora

Aozora Well-Known Member

#7 Aozora, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  8. OZFrog

OZFrog New Member

IMGP0880a.jpg IMGP0883a.jpg
    Thanks For the info, would both these have been in the same plane or are they likely to have been from different types?

9. mhuxt

mhuxt Active Member

They're both Yokogawa instruments (bottom line, large characters). The lower one is indeed a Type 92 Model 2, so aozora's spot-on with that one. The upper one however is a Model 1 turn-and-bank indicator. I think I can see an anchor (=Navy?) inspection stamp on the right hand side, next to the screw, however what I can't see is the date of manufacture. That would have been stamped into the blank spaces in the lower middle row. The stamps would tell you year and month of manufacture,which might at least help you rule out various aircraft types. Can you tell us what the stamps in that row are?

10. Aozora

Aozora Well-Known Member

Navy Model 1 or Model 2 T B Indicator?

Indicator, Turn and Bank, Japanese Navy, Model 2 | National Air and Space Museum

Found more images of the same instrument type: Collect Air | Good Stuff P-40 Etc (scroll way down)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Manufactured by Tanaka Keiki.

11. mhuxt

mhuxt Active Member

Gak, sorry, brain-fade, it's a Model 2, I'm guessing Navy due to the anchor stamp.

You'd think I'd learn by now, one stick = 1, two sticks = 2.

12. Aozora

Aozora Well-Known Member

#12 Aozora, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
    Re: the data plates: the top line is the instrument type; next line is serial number (stamped) Navy Anchor (stamped)
    3rd line is Showa (year - stamped) Month (stamped); followed by manufacturer.

Neither instrument has a year/month stamped into the plate, possibly indicating wartime production? Because the instruments were common to most naval aircraft it would be almost impossible to know the aircraft type, but with their common manufacturer it is possible they both came from the same aircraft.

(from Mikesh):
    [​IMG]