WW2 Ship Wrecks (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DerAdlerIstGelandet

Private Chemtrail Disperser
Staff
Mod
Nov 8, 2004
USA/Germany
Well we were talking about the wrecks of the Bismarck, Hood, Yamato and Graf Zeppelin in other threads. This topic greatly interests me so I started this thread so that people can post info and links to sites to individual ship wreck sites or to wrecks in general.

Whether it is U-Boot, Battleship, Destroyer, Aircraft Carrier, US, British, Japanese, French, or German, post the info here and we can discuss them.

Its a book, but I felt it worthy enough to post it in this thread.

"Graveyards of the Pacific offers exactly what readers expect from National Geographic: A beautiful book full of outstanding photos and graphics. It is worth reading (bestselling historian Stephen E. Ambrose writes the introduction), but even better to look at. Coauthor Robert D. Ballard, of course, is the explorer best known for discovering the Titanic on the Atlantic seabed. As the title suggests, Graveyards of the Pacific focuses on the Second World War. It includes fewer underwater photos than what one might expect from a book coauthored by Ballard--no more than a dozen or so. But each is well selected: A Japanese torpedo lying on the floor of Pearl Harbor, planes encrusted by decades of marine growth, the mast of an aircraft transport surrounded by fish and covered with seaweed--in the shape of a cross, it looks "like an underwater shrine"--and vessels sunk during the Bikini Atoll atomic bomb tests. Most of the photographs and other illustrations (there are more than 150 in total) are contemporary pictures taken during the war, from a blurry image of Japanese battleships heading toward Pearl Harbor before the sneak attack to a sequential series of photos showing a kamikaze plane approaching an American aircraft carrier, and then smashing into it. The text of the book moves back and forth between historical descriptions of the naval war and accounts of how Ballard found many of the ships lost during the fighting. His most significant discovery in the Pacific was probably the U.S.S. Yorktown, destroyed during the battle of Midway in 1942 and now resting 17,000 feet below the waves. The description of its dark, final resting place is eerie: It "looks like a huge craft dropped down from space, shorn of many of the antenna and cables and protrusions that had once made her serviceable, but now reduced to her core, which is still massive and formidable. ...[A] huge sunken sea-beast from another time, a steel dinosaur out of another era, when deluded men still thought they could conquer the world." As Graveyards of the Pacific proves once again, we are fortunate to have Ballard embarking on an altogether different kind of conquest. --John Miller"

Product Details
* Hardcover: 224 pages
* Publisher: National Geographic (June 1, 2001)
* Language: English
* ISBN: 0792263669

Attachments

• 0792263669.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1140873807_.jpg
    0792263669.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1140873807_.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 208
Wildcat said:
Here's something a bit different.
HMAS Sydney II Appeal
This site is about the search for HMAS Sydney which has never been found.

I thought they found a sonar target that seemed to be the same size as the Sydney? A few years back and they were going to investigate....probably some time around now.

During WW2, there were a large number of ships that sank on the Murmansk-Scottland run. All of the outbound from Scottland were packed with supplies. They went down in some very cold water. Doubtless, this has slowed substantially any deterioration that could be going on.

It is interesting to think what might be down there. The whole gamut, Tanks, Aircraft, Artillery, small arms, ect. No idea how cold salt water affects things but not as much decay as in the Pacific.

timshatz said:
I thought they found a sonar target that seemed to be the same size as the Sydney? A few years back and they were going to investigate....probably some time around now.

Nope, the only thing ever found was a bullet riddled lifeboat which contained a dead body. It washed up on the Cocos Island in WWII where the unidentified man was buried. In the paper the other day it said a forensic team is flying out there to exhume the body to try to ID him to finally clear up wether he actually came from the Sydney.

The 2 right now that I would like to find the most would be the USS Indianapolis and whats left of the Tirpitz. (I think they took most of it away did they not?)

Attachments

• ghost fleet book.jpg
    ghost fleet book.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 217
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
The 2 right now that I would like to find the most would be the USS Indianapolis and whats left of the Tirpitz. (I think they took most of it away did they not?)

They said they took most of it away but I've seen pics on the net where it showed there is still some good sized chunks of it down there. Not suprising, it was a big ship.

I've seen pics of left over steel from the Bismark that is still in the port where she was built. I believe it is from the armor belt. Saw it on a TV show some time back.

As for the Indy, she is probably in very deep water. Went down close to the Mariana's Trench. She's probably not in it but has to be at least 3 miles down.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thats also cool on the Prinz Eugen. Man that is awesome that parts of it still stick out of the water and what not. Amazing how she survived those blasts like that too.

There was this D-day wreck muesuem near some town in Normandy where I stayed in hotel for a few days, and if I recall there was some Duplex Drive Shermans brought up from the channel and placed in that muesuem that was cool.

The following is a news article about Chemical Weapons off the New Jersey, USA coast. Seems the Army just dumped them 20 miles off the coast after the war ended.

"Chemical Weapons Dumped Off NJ's Coast
The US Army now admits that it secretly dumped 64 million pounds of nerve and mustard agents into the sea, along with 400,000 chemical-filled bombs, land mines, and rockets, and more than 500 tons of radioactive waste, either tossed overboard or packed into the holds of scuttled vessels. These weapons virtually ring the country's coast. The Army has examined only a few of its 26 dump zones and none in the past 30 years, and records are sketchy, missing, or were destroyed. Army cannot say exactly where all the weapons were dumped from World War II to 1970 and, furthermore, the Army has not reviewed World War I-era records, when ocean dumping of chemical weapons was common.

In the summer of 2004, a clam-dredging operation off New Jersey pulled up an old artillery shell. The long-submerged World War I-era explosive was filled with a black tar-like substance. Three bomb disposal technicians from Dover Air Force Base, DE, who were brought in to dismantle it, and were injured from exposure to mustard gas. The shell was filled with mustard gas in solid form and was pulled up with clams in relatively shallow water only 20 miles off Atlantic City. In fact, 1985 charts from the National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) identify numerous areas where explosives and weapons were disposed in the NY/NJ Bight.

When mustard gas is exposed to seawater, it forms a concentrated gel that lasts for at least five years, killing or contaminating sea life. When released in the ocean, nerve agent lasts up to six weeks, killing every organism it touches before breaking down into its non-lethal chemical components.

The Army's secret ocean-dumping program spanned decades, from 1944 to 1970. The dumped weapons were deemed to be unneeded surplus. US Congress banned the practice in 1972. Three years later, the United States signed an international treaty prohibiting ocean disposal of chemical weapons."

Have also read articles that there is a huge amount of Chemical Weapons from the same war off the Belgian Coast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back