WW2's most successful WW1 "leftover"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jerry W. Loper

Airman 1st Class
Oct 2, 2007
What weapon that saw wide spread use during World War I, was also used in World War II, successfully? To start this thread off, I'll nominate the Colt Model 1911 .45-caliber semiautomatic pistol.

To many to choose from Colt 1911, Browing Auto Rifle, the .30 and .50 cal machine guns, Springfield 1903 series rifle. I pick the .50 cal machine gun, followed by the 1903 Springfield.

DBII

I nominate the M.1874 Gras rifle. Replaced by the M.1886 Lebel, the Gras was obsolete by WW 1 but still saw service by reservists and class B troops mostly for drill and POW camp guards. By WW 2 the Gras was regulated to parade and drill uses, and was mostly seen in museums. However, the cadets of the military school at Saumur used them in 1940, defending the academy for almost two days. Some still remained in the hands of partisans afterwards.

More info here:

Fusil Gras mle 1874 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The same bolt action rifles saw wide use during WW2. Not much you can do to improve such weapons without switching to a much more expensive semi-automatic rifle. I don't think hand grenades changed much either.

French 75mm and 155mm arty pieces. Queen Elisabeth BBs. Mortars (modified Stokes type).

But depth charges underwater microphones were useful in an un-modified form even in WWII, unlike the tanks and planes (planes are not a WWI invention anyway).

Last edited:
The BAR barely got into WW1 and the Browning M2, 50 cal did not. The 1911 Colt is a good one, but the Mauser 98 served in both, I think, and so did the SMLE so those would be the most influential.

What about the primary field gun of the Wehrmacht in the first two years of the war, essentially variations of the 1896 model 7.7cm FK rebarreled for the 7.5cm ammunition change of 1918 and fitted with the 1916 horse carriage. These were the FK 16 nA and FK 18 (which introduced a split rail horse carriage for anti-tank capability). Range about 13km and 9.5km respectively, hollow charge loadouts available on the latter from 1938.
Of course they were earmarked for replacement by newer 10.5cm FK but this would take some time.

Not exactly noteworthy material going up against the standard British 25-pdr in action from the start of the war, which has better than double the shell weight and the better range at about the same weapon weight and handiness.

WWI era field guns like the German 7.7cm and French 75mm were so heavily modified that they were essentially new weapons. Only the gun tube was re-used. A new carriage converted the low angle direct fire field gun into a light howitzer.

The Schneider 105mm mle1913 Gun
The French Model 1913 105mm howitzer is a different story. It was so good when introduced that it was still competative during WWII without major changes.
It had a maximum elevation of 37 degrees, quite high for a gun designed before the war. The shell weight was 16.3kg, which, combined with the range, made it quite suitable for both heavy infantry support and long range anti-artillery work. In France some 1.340 being built before the end of the war in 1918, and over 1.000 of these guns also saw service in World War Two.

Vickers Heavy Machine Gun, Lee Enfields and the 18/25 pounders spring to mind for me for land wepons.

V&W class Destroyers, and QE class BBs for the naval side

I cannot think of a single aircraft type from WWI that also served in WWII

Jeez, this is a warbird forum! :) How about the plane itself! The Concept of fighter vs fighter or bomber? Or how aircraft on each side developed into weapons. How about tactics and strategy? If you want a single, concrete weapon, how about the synchronizing gear for the machine gun to shoot through propellors? Or the monoplane? I think there was so much just with aircraft that really dictated how the next war would be fought.

WWI era field guns like the German 7.7cm and French 75mm were so heavily modified that they were essentially new weapons. Only the gun tube was re-used. A new carriage converted the low angle direct fire field gun into a light howitzer.

The Schneider 105mm mle1913 Gun
The French Model 1913 105mm howitzer is a different story. It was so good when introduced that it was still competative during WWII without major changes.

Yep, the Mle1913 was a superb gun, and served in many armies, Wehrmacht included. Too bad Brits haven't used it (or the US 105mm M1) as a basis for a new medium piece, instead going after 25pdr.

QF 4.5 inch Howitzer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Britain preferred the inferior 4.5 in QF howitzer whose range was about half that of the French made weapon. Go figure. :shock:

Different classes of artillery the QF 4.5 was a howitzer weighing 1.3 tons

The 105mm mle 1913 was a longer range gun weighing 2.6 tons You are comparing chalk and cheese

The mle 1913 was a brilliant gun though

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back