WWII aircraft parts still produced any idea ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DFM+BB

Airman 1st Class
Apr 17, 2009
Hello guys !

I have a question that is still remaining in my head for a few weeks now.

I work in the buying departement of the petroleum industry, and sometimes I am talking with some suppliers with a great history like SKF (bearing), 3M ( who was manufacturing US aircraft gun protecting adhesive during the war as we can see on old P40 and F4 pics ) or Bosch ( think there where manufacturing spark plug for DB engines).

I was wondering if these comanies still sell old product as bearing or anything elese to the same dim and spec as the one they where manufacturing during the war ?
could be interesting to list these parts and matching to the aircraft type no ?

any idea ?

Any idea of the brands still involved in this hardware and ref ?

Any idea of the brands still involved in this hardware and ref ?
No brands for hardware, I would think Tinnerman Bearings might fall into this catagory.

When I was at Lockheed there was a practice to manufacture "LS" hardware (Lockheed Standard). I was told that some LS item had roots that went back to WW2 and were used on several different aircraft.

wow that is impressive !
does that mean that some of the actual fighters as the F35 had some common DNA with the old P38 ? ( could dream about it )

anyway thanks for the reply :)

wow that is impressive !
does that mean that some of the actual fighters as the F35 had some common DNA with the old P38 ? ( could dream about it )

anyway thanks for the reply :)

I doubt the F-35 would as there's been a lot of influence from General Dynamics with regards to the F-35. I left Lockheed when the F-22 was just starting and eve that aircraft had a lot of newer hardware.

I seen common standard parts between the P-2 and P-3,but they were very few from what I can recall.

When I was at Tinker AFB I was told that they were considering putting fuel filters on Air Force 1 (a VC-137 Boeing 707 at that time).

They called the company that built the fuel filters they were thinking of using and asked if they had any history on their use. The company replied that the filters were used successfully on over 50,000 tanks in WWII, and was that good enough?

Though not technically an aircraft part, I understand when the Smithsonian restored their Fw 190 (F?) they were able to source the original onboard medical kit back to the OEM in Germany…which was still producing it!

seriously ???
interesting story !
anyone knows more about it ?

do you know the ref of the book ?
I got the one on Fw190D13 yellow 10 from eagle publication I think (very good ) but it is in France ( I am working in Brazil for 1 year ) I don't know if they mentionned such thing.

To me the smithonian got an F8 fighter/bomber with the late variant hood no ? the D13 is on loan in the same museum no ?

It was the NASM Fw 190 F and I will either find the specific ref or just call/e-mail them...for my own sanity as well. I do not think Boyne authored the book I am thinking off by the way.

That is definitely a book I'll buy thanks !
I found the book I was talking about above : Focke Wulf FW 190 Dora Volume 12. by Jerry Crandall this is a real good reference !

Other interesting things, I fond that through my work today : History
the history of the company is not mentionned before 1945, but do you think this is related to the former Junker Jumo ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back