X-609 (P-39) Competitors

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Zipper730

Chief Master Sergeant
Nov 9, 2015
I'm curious what aircraft were contenders in the X-609 program? I was reading through American Secret Projects: Fighters, Bombers, and Attack Aircraft, 1937-1945, and it didn't mention much about competitors other than the following competitors were involved.

Curtiss, North American, Northrop and Sikorsky were involved: Does anybody have anything on this?

The X-609 was the P-39: I know that, I'm curious what other contenders were involved, I couldn't find anything

X-609 Program
Single-engined fighter with supercharged engine.
February 1937.
  • Bell Model 3.
  • Bell Model 4 XP-39 Airacobra.
  • Curtiss Hawk 75-I XP-37.
  • Curtiss Model 75P XP-40 (winner).
  • Curtiss Hawk 75-R.
  • Curtiss Hawk 75-S XP-42.
  • Lockheed ?
  • Seversky AP-3.
  • Seversky AP-4 YP-43 Lancer.
  • Seversky AP-4D, AP-7 XP-41.

EDIT TO ADD:
The above was found at US Army Aircraft Acquisition Programs

I'm not sure why the Curtiss Model 75P was distinguished as the "winner" here. In fact, all listed manufacturers ended up being awarded for these submitted designs and/or derivations thereof. I'm not sure what Lockheed submitted for X-609, but they ended up clearly winning the X-608 "Circular Proposal" for the twin-engined interceptor with what became the P-38 Lightning.

For example:
Bell - won the contract for the many variants of the P-39, although they were ordered sans superchargers (the later derivative P-63 Kingcobra would feature a supercharger again).

Curtiss - the various "Hawk" / Model 75 designs ended up serving, for instance, as the "Mohawk" in the RAF and of course as the P-40 Warhawk with the supercharged in-line Allison.

Seversky - The Lancer served with the USAAF and Chinese Air Force, and of course as Seversky became Republic, the Lancer also evolved into the more famous P-47 Thunderbolt.

Last edited:
Bell - won the contract for the many variants of the P-39, although they were ordered sans superchargers (the later derivative P-63 Kingcobra would feature a supercharger again).

Every single Allison V-1710 engine ever produced for the P-39 contained a supercharger. NO exceptions. Same with all the other V-1710 engines ever produced and fitted to the YP-37, P-38, P-40, etc

What was left out of the P-39 was the TURBOcharger that the original design contained. A turbocharger is an external supercharger driven by exhaust gasses.

The P-63 did not have a TURBOcharger though it did have an Auxiliary Stage Blower which is a mechanically driven supercharger mounted external to the engine and feeding air into the integral internal engine supercharger.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back