XP-39 II - The Groundhog Day Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
There were also a few missions with P-40s in the New Guinea combat book. I didn't get the impression they did any better or worse than the P-39s, but then again they were not the feature of the book either.
Good points.

I looked up a little on the AVG. It seems their Maine fighter opposition was the Nick, and later the Oscar. They started out with P-40Bs and eventually got some P-40Es. The Chinese they flew with also had a mixture, including P-43s & P-66s. Their original hit & run while keeping your speed high was formulated against the Nicks.

I also found something interesting; I was looking for P-40 encounter reports 9never found any) on WWII Aircraft performance when I found these at the bottom of the P-40 page:
http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/P-40/Performance_Data_Pursuit_Airplanes.pdf
http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/P-40/PHQ-M-19-1307-A.pdf
And finally this on high power use of the Allison:
http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/P-40/V-1710_Service_Use_of_High_Power_Outputs.pdf

The last I thought at first was talking about the P-38, but then it gave the model numbers as -81, -83, and -85. These were P-40, P-39, and P-51 models.
I'd love to see performance figures on them with 1700+hp!

Anyway I found them interesting.

We don't know what the difference between the propellers were, but a design changed could change the performance on climb or all out level speed. The change to paddle blade props improved the climb performance of the P-47, for example.

Joe Baugher notes that the propeller was different on the P-39D and that there were other differences:

A different 10 foot 5-inch Curtiss Electric propeller was fitted and the fuselage length was increased to 30 feet 2 inches. In addition, a very small dorsal fin was added just ahead of the rudder.

Bell P-39D Airacobra

Not sure how much the fuselage length was changed.

The engines were also not the same, even though they were the same model.

Engines were allowed to vary by a small percentage from the rated power, so the power from on engine on the production line to the next could vary by 5 or 6%. Maybe even more.

And there may be evidence in this in the tests of the P-39C and P-39D.
http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/P-39/P-39C_40-2988.pdf
http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/P-39/P-39D_41-6722_PHQ-M-19-1325-A.pdf

As noted by others, the engine powers were derived from different documents. This may indicate minor detail changes to the engine, or that it was re-certified.

The critical altitude for the P-39C in its test was at 13,050ft, at which its speed was 379mph at 3,000rpm and 1,150hp (obtained from chart in TO No. 025AD-1).

The critical altitude for the P-39D as 13,800ft, at which it made 368mph at 3,000rpm and 1,150hp (obtained from chart in Specification No. 123E).

Critical altitude for Normal rated power (1,000hp @ 2,600rpm) for the P-39C was 12,600ft at 362mph, for the P-39D it was 13,100ft @ 347.5mph.

Critical altitude in climb for the P-39D was 12,400ft. The report for the P-39C doesn't identify the critical altitude for climb in military power, but it appears to be 10,000ft (last altitude listed with max power).

Cruising speed at 2,280rp and 750hp was 327mph @ 11,600ft for the P-39C and 311mph @ 13,000ft for the P-39D.

Clearly the aircraft were not identical other than the weight.

A soldier in WW1 could cross no mans land faster without his rifle ammunition and helmet. A C-47 can carry more paratroops if they leave all their equipment weapons and clothes back in their base. Taking military equipment off military machines is just an argument for Reno racers being superior in performance to planes they were developed from. Taking guns off a fighting machine is a very hard "sell".

Hello GregP,

Another thing worth examining is the Advance Ratio and most likely propeller pitch that would represent for these two aircraft at maximum speed and the likely propeller efficiency that would suggest.
The other thing to remember is the actual shaft horsepower that these Turboprops are putting to the propeller. It isn't something even the best Turbo-Compound engine could ever do though I suspect some of the Unlimited class racers you hang around with can come close to what the P-3 Orion is doing.
The last thing to consider is that the exhaust thrust from these engines is relatively high and it becomes a very large portion of the thrust at high speeds.
No, they really aren't playing by quite the same rules.

- Ivan.

Last edited:

Hello jmcalli2,

Those were not Nick which is a twin engine fighter. They were Ki 27 Nate which is a little tiny fighter with fixed landing gear.
The other thing worth mentioning is that from the Curtiss aircraft Construction Numbers, the batch of "P-40s" which were technically just "Hawk 81s" fell into the range for the P-40C and not P-40B.
Curtiss basically used the contract to get rid of old parts that would not satisfy current military contracts because the contract fr the Chinese did not specify a lot of features that the military contracts did. So much for Mil-Spec.
That is why older fuel selectors without provision for drop tanks and fuselage fuel tanks with external sealing material were found on these planes. The folks in China saw these pieces and thought they were flying earlier models, but they were not.

That document you found is the Allison Memo that I have mentioned a few times. I didn't find it on that site though.
The engines models they cover are not actually the ones you are thinking though.
They were the F3R (V-1710-39 and V-1710-35) and F4R (V-1710-73 and V-1710-63). Basically the 1150 HP and 1325 HP engines for the P-40 and P-39.
This is probably why the P-39D-1 pilot flying against the Aleutian A6M2 probably figured he could run a LOT more boost than the manual allowed.

- Ivan.

If you look at the Zero pic I posted, you can see the ejector exhaust stacks. They add significant thrust at high power settings.

Some of the Reno guys are making 3800 or so hp, and the R-4360 guys can probably make maybe 500 more ... at least for awhile. None of the race engines would last to Berlin and back at high powers, but its possible they could be operated at ... say ... 2300 hp for some time. I don't know myself and would have to ask the racers. I don't know how much heat (in BTUs) a stock radiator in a P-51, for instance, can dissipate. I don't know any who can put out torque like an Allison T-56 turboprop, though.

But, their answers might be a guess, because they build for the engines to last maybe 60 - 70 laps of 6.5 miles each at high power, with some lower-power breathing in between the high power laps (a Reno race campaign). That definitely won't get you to Berlin from the U.K. much less back again.

Pretty much everyone in here knows that, of course. For you new guys, we have moderators who crew or have crewed on Reno races planes and work as A&Ps.

Last edited:
The list of types that had .50 MGs is a bit off. Keep in mind that most types in production before 1940/41 had .30 MGs.
The SBD was one of the first American aircraft that was designed to have two .50 MGs instead of the traditional .30/.50 cowl combination - however, it retained the .30 MG defensive armament.

The P-40B had .30 MGs.
The F4F-1/2 had .30 MGs.
The B-17 was originally armed with .30 MGs and even the B-17E still had one .30 MG left (skylight position).
The early B-25 models were armed with .30 MGs and the .30 MG remained in the nose position for several variants.
The B-26 was designed to have flexible .30 MGs in the nose and tail.
The P-38 prototype had two .30 MGs, two .50 MGs and a 23mm cannon...

P-47, F6F, TBF, A-26, F4U and so on, were after the USAAC moved toward the .50 MG as a standard.

For what it's worth, early war Soviet types (I-16, I-153, MiG-1/3, IL-2, Pe-2, AR-2, Su-2, etc.) were armed with 7.62mm MGs. - 7.62mm is...you guessed it: .30 caliber.

Last edited:

There are definitely more combat losses than 44 P-39's and 15 Zeros in Claringbould's book; but it does seem to me that the 44 vs 15 comparison he makes is losses that occurred on missions where they met each other in combat; I am not sure if losses here means failed to return or whether it includes DBR, except that the 15 Zeros all FTR along with the pilots. About half the P-39 pilots survived and returned and could relate what had happened; but for those that remained MIA, the cause of loss was not always observed by their squadron mates. In the majority of cases some cause is given as a likely cause of loss but in some cases no assumption of the cause of the loss is given.
I would think that on the Japanese side, for those Zero's that FTR the cause was probably not always observed either but it may be that the Japanese recorded the loss as being to P-39's because that was what they were in combat with.

Not to beat a dead horse, but attached is a spreadsheet I just made to calculate propeller tip Mach Number at Standard Conditions.

We know all conditions are NOT standard, but this is only for forum conjecture, so I didn't add compensation for non-standard conditions. Instructions are included on the first tab. If you want to account for non-standard conditions, then enter the density altitude as your altitude.

The spreadsheet is protected, but without a password, so you can unprotect it if you want to do so.

Attachments

• Prop Tip Speed New.xlsx
    1.3 MB · Views: 33
During the war it was bombers who most frequently had engines running for long periods at high power ratings. An unladen Lancaster could limp home on two engines, of course you don't hear so much about those who didn't.

Clearly the additional 836lbs had nothing to do with the P-39D being 11mph slower or climbing 1000fpm slower.

How about this, what if the P-39D weight was reduced to that of the P-39C? Would it not have the same performance as the P-39C?

There were also a few missions with P-40s in the New Guinea combat book. I didn't get the impression they did any better or worse than the P-39s, but then again they were not the feature of the book either.

Interesting. Couple books and articles I've read said the units (like 8th FG) with P400 fared not-so-well against the IJNAF fighters, early in those New Guinea air battles. Later, these early units were replaced with P40s.

Hello GregP,

I did a little more checking yesterday. Here is a little more history that might interest you:
I am sure you already know most of it but I restate it for others here who may not know.

The A6M5 that is currently flying with Planes of Fame was originally captured on Saipan in 1944.
Its original markings which it carries today were "61-120". 61 was the unit identification: 261 Kokutai.
There were quite a few A6M captured there along with a lot of spares.
About a dozen A6M (A6M5 mostly and a couple A6M2) and a bunch of engines were packed aboard a CVE and shipped back to the US.
61-120 was one of the aircraft that was in the best condition. It was assigned the number TAIC 5 which replaced the 61-120 marking and WAS flown in performance testing.
The differences with this aircraft were that it was equipped with a Sakae 31 engine which is normally the version equipped with Water Methanol injection however this aircraft was not so equipped.
The test report can be found here:
TED PTR 1111

The interesting results are that the maximum speed achieved seems quite low: 335 MPH @ 18,000 feet which is well under the critical altitude.
There are no discrepancies or faults noted in the aircraft however on page 2 in note 2, there is a statement that tests are of a "qualitative" rather than a "quantitative" nature.

- Ivan.

They didn't need quantitative test because all the active PTO combat pilots knew what they could do.

When we did the full airframe overhaul, about a 30-cal bullet in the canopy frame was found, just inside about a 30-cal hole. The bullet was removed and the hole was repaired.

I doubt the flight test got to "best power" and :max speed" as they didn't seem all that sure what that might be at the time. They put about 190 hours on the airframe during the 1944 Fighter Conference. In that time, Zero 61-120 was the only fighter aircraft being flown that didn't break down even once ... it was dead reliable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread