XP-47J

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

professorcurly

Recruit
Nov 7, 2013
I've found lots of info about the plane, its performance and read opinions about why it wasn't produced and so forth. But I've never been able to find what happened to it once Republic moved on to the XP-72. Was it scrapped? Preserved somewhere? What did they do with it once they were done?

Thanks for any help,
-ProfessorCurly

Hello Professor,

Welcome to the forum.

As you know, mid-1943 it was decided that the XP-72 had more potential than the XP-47J. Because of this, only one of the two XP-47Js ordered was completed. In Dec 1944, it was handed over to the AAF at Wright Field. I would imagine (but do not know) that it was scrapped after the war, along with many other neat and interesting aircraft.

It is interesting (to me) that examples of the strange aircraft, like the XP-54, XP-55, and XP-56, all survived. Yet, examples of those aircraft that could have been a success if things were a bit different, like the XP-72, XF8B, and XA-38, were all scrapped.

I think I am wrong. The XP-54's nose was shipped to Eglin Field for live fire tests. I thought it then made it to Garber, but I can not find any proof of that. So I guess is ended its days at Eglin. Sorry for the thread drift.

Not at all. would be nice if some how stuff survived at Eglin or even at Aberdeen Proving Grounds. (Seems like quite a few aircraft ended their days as targets there. Sad.)

I have paperwork that says the XP-47H "HEMI-Bolt" was sent to Chicago for the Smithsonian, but when they were told to clear out, it must have been scrapped. They just kept the engine. And another killer is (to get off topic) there was a He-177 there also. Gone to the dusts of history...

I have paperwork that says the XP-47H "HEMI-Bolt" was sent to Chicago for the Smithsonian, but when they were told to clear out, it must have been scrapped. They just kept the engine. And another killer is (to get off topic) there was a He-177 there also. Gone to the dusts of history...

Was that in 1949/1950? I have found references that the Mitsubishi Ki-83 was there and scrapped in 1950. I think one of the XF8Bs made it into the 50s as well, but at Philadelphia. Also, I hear you on the gunnery ranges. The (surviving) XF-12 was a target at Aberdeen.

I guess the whole point being that the XP-47J had to of been scrapped with just about everything else.

I figured it was scrapped, I just wasn't sure. I thought maybe it had been sold and converted into a racer like other surplus warplanes or preserved by Republic as a historical piece.

Thanks.

It was just after the start of the Korean War. The USAF to them to clear the collection out as they were going to ramp up aircraft production at that abandon factory. Guess they had to make some tough choices. Another reason to hate family dynasty that runs North Korea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back