XP-77 UNHAPPY ending

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

hawkeye2an

Staff Sergeant
Mar 18, 2009
St Joseph, Missouri
Tried to tone down the silver that was TOO shiny on my Czech Models XP-77 and wound up with a gray airplane with silvering decals. I guess I'll have to throw it in the strip tank and start over.

Attachments

• XP-771-1.jpg
    XP-771-1.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 158
Don't know about a paint being "too silver"...you ever see a polished aluminum warbird at high noon? It'll leave spots in your eyes for the rest of the afternoon...

I think you're XP-77 looks pretty good

Personally, I think it looks more like bare metal, polished, but not modern-day 'Concourse', than any I have seen. I'd leave it, as it looks spot on to me.

If you're wanting to "shine" up the finish some, perhaps a gloss or semi-gloss clear coat may do the trick...

Wayne or Terry would have the best info on how to achieve that without returning it to your "too shiny" condition (don't wanna go full circle here) :lol:

Anyway, that's just an idea...but if it were me, I'd leave it the way it is :)

The metalic paint I used is very similar to Alclad, only it is in a spray can. When this type of paint is covered with a clear coat it turns gray and that is exactly what happened here.

I'd leave it as it is Andy, it looks good enough to me for a simulated painted silver surface.
It's actually harder to achieve this effect than it is to do a bare metal finish. I usually use a regular silver paint, with a touch of white added to it. The use of gloss or matt white gives different effects. For example, my MiG 21 in the Cold War GB is supposed to be a silver dope coating, as applied to the real thing. This was made by the method above, where the amount of white added governs the final effect.

Man, I'm with the rest. Nothing "Unhappy" about that beauty, especially if it's a wood build. Great job. =D>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back