Yak 3 Flies in SoCal Sept 4th!!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

nvrsummer2

Airman
Jun 1, 2010
Planes of Fame museum in Chino, Ca. Is having one of its many flying days. This one features the Yak 3 on Sept 4th.

PLANES of FAME - _script-page-events

Also, this museum is AMAZING!! Tons of flyable warbirds and lots being restored.

They have a BF 109 from German ace Wulf-Dietrich Widowitz (36 victories). Its in pretty bad shape but is going to be restored next year. You can still see the swastika on the tail.

Heres more, and some pics: PLANES of FAME - Latest News

I'd read about that recovered Bf-109 - it's nice to see that Planes of Fame is going to restore it. Thank you for the link!

Venganza

I didn't even know it was there!! I went to see the Spanish one they are restoring and one of the restorers told me to go see "the real one."

I took pictures so maybe I'll post them when I can.

Just bumping this back up top. Flying day is tomorrow!! They have a 2 hour program and discussion about the Yakovlev 3. This one is painted in Normandy colors.

In Nov and December they are flying the Corsair and the worlds only original Zero!!!

PLANES of FAME - Home

You need to visit there when they have the airshow. The amount of aircraft flying at the show is incredible. And 10 Mustangs opened the show last year.

They have the only Zero with the Sakae engine. There is another with a Pratt and Whitney at Camarillo. The Sakae engine is really a license built P W that was tweaked for a little more horsepower. There really isn't that much of a difference.

The Two zeroes fly at the airshow, sometimes together!
DSC_1262.jpg

Just got back from the Planes of fame museum. Had to be over 105 out there. Then on the asphalt it felt like over 115!! But it was great and got to see all those wonderful warbirds. Got to see the Yak 3 close up and watch it fly over about 5 times.
My only complaint is that it didn't do anything other than some 45 degree turns over us. I was expecting to see at least some rolls. At least an immelman or something!! Is there a reason why they don't do aerobatics? I sure hope they do more than just fly over at the airshow...

Geez, some people are never happy. Have you spent time in a restoration? Have you drilled out rivets, stripped paint and all-clad off of parts, crawled into confined spaces to inspect for corrosion or have to replace something? Have you spent 2 hours bolting pieces together to find that they were originally done by hand and found that the bolt pattern is off because your are actually not in the right position?

You got to see the aircraft fly, which is more than a lot of people can say. They spend a lot of money and time to get these old birds flying. They take it easy on the airframes so that they last a longer and can be flown with less maintenance.

We are incredibly spoiled with warbirds out here in Southern California. In the past 10 years, I have seen more different types of warbirds in flight than some people will see on the ground in a lifetime. And yet you are complaining that you didn't get to see it doing any aerobatic maneuvers?

Last edited:
Geez, some people are never happy. Have you spent time in a restoration? Have you drilled out rivets, stripped paint and all-clad off of parts, crawled into confined spaces to inspect for corrosion or have to replace something? Have you spent 2 hours bolting pieces together to find that they were originally done by hand and found that the bolt pattern is off because your are actually not in the right position?

You got to see the aircraft fly, which is more than a lot of people can say. They spend a lot of money and time to get these old birds flying. They take it easy on the airframes so that they last a longer and can be flown with less maintenance.

We are incredibly spoiled with warbirds out here in Southern California. In the past 10 years, I have seen more different types of warbirds in flight than some people will see on the ground in a lifetime. And yet you are complaining that you didn't get to see it doing any aerobatic maneuvers?

Wow, guess I must have struck a nerve.... I only want to see what these planes are capable of. Seeing it fly in straight lines is merely "symbolic". Yeah its flying, but it looks the same as it does on the ground with the prop turning. Also, I DID pay about $30 to see this thing fly. So as a paying customer I feel I have the right to ask.

And besides, all I asked was if there is a REASON they dont, or CANT do aerobatics. So, your answer appears to be from a wear and tear point of view.

And aerobatics near crowds require an aerobatic box and waivered airspace.

You paid $30?! Well, then I guess you can ask them to do all kinds of things to the aircraft that cost them hundreds of thousands of dollars to get in the air, insure and make safe for future generations. :rolleyes:

And aerobatics near crowds require an aerobatic box and waivered airspace.

You paid $30?! Well, then I guess you can ask them to do all kinds of things to the aircraft that cost them hundreds of thousands of dollars to get in the air, insure and make safe for future generations. :rolleyes:

Wow dude, not to be rude but I GET IT!!!!

How come there are soooo many videos out there of other airshows. And those planes, that are originals, are doing rolls immelmans, etc?? Dont think a roll is going to hurt a plane THAT WAS BUILT FOR IT!!!!

Exhibit A:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN1-5BP0xSU
Exhibit B:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkPHYkyM1oA

thats all i wanted to know, I get your point but its a little rude how you are ridiculing me in this thread.

Either way FlyboyJ answered in a mature manner and im going to ignore this thread now... Thanks for the education.

There are no original Yak-3s still flying. There are only 2, one in Paris and the other in Camarillo, neither of them anywhere near in flyable condition. The Yak-3s flying today were built in the 1980s out of aluminum, versus the plywood and cloth versions that were originally produced.

The point I was trying to make is that you were unhappy because they didn't pull a series of maneuvers that put additional stress on airplane when they are trying to preserve them for many years. The fact that you got to see one fly is more than many people can even say. Seeing one on the ground is one thing, but hearing it and seeing it in the sky are very different.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back