Yak-9 aerial victories

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Demopan78

Airman
Jun 7, 2022
I was trying to find any aerial victories of the Yak-9 VK-107 aircraft type i rarely found something

I did found one kill

19 july 1950 F-80C 49-698
( engine succumbed and crashed from yak9Ps 20mm guns)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yak-9U took part in ww2 in 1943

Did it score any aerial victories?

Do you guys have any more data on Yak-9U in combat?

Last edited:
Ive recently watched on soviet air ace database

Yak-9U collected 6 Me-109 fighters

Also rest was Fw190s

But i was trying to find out if yak-9U shot down G-10 or k4 variants(during pomeranian offensive 1945 but what jagdgeschwader took part there)

Yak-9.jpg

Is this true?

If this is coming from former Soviet or Russian sources, I question their validity.

According to the referenced site, the following B-29s were lost or damaged due to Yak-9s.

B-29 (44-69866) - This aircraft was damaged by three KPAFAC Yak-9 fighters near Seoul, Korea and the crew bailed out over the Yellow Sea on July 12, 1950. It was the first B-29 loss to enemy fighters in the Korean War. The plane was written off as too damaged to repair. The crew members were:

• Apodaca, Sgt. Jose A. - rescued
  • Barone, SSgt. Anthony J. - rescued
  • Brous, 1Lt. Donald N. - rescued
  • Bryant, MSgt. William L. - rescued
  • Cain, Cpl. Richard B. - rescued
  • Codling, 1Lt. Horace G. - rescued
  • Hardway, Pvt. Everett G. - rescued
  • Layton, 1Lt. Robert Hollis (pilot) - died while POW
  • Liggett, Cpl. David L. - rescued
  • Lutz, Pfc. Howard Jr. - rescued
  • Miller, A2c Paul Luther - died while POW
  • Owens, SSgt. Eugene E. - rescued
  • Ridenour, Capt. Paul R. - rescued
Bugs' Ball Buster (44-61638) - Damaged July 19, 1950 by a Yak-9. Only one crew member was wounded. He received a Silver Star for his actions during this incide and his citation explains what happened that day.

• Edenbo, Capt. John W. - WIA
Silver Star citation - Headquarters, Far East Air Forces, General Orders No. 149 - 26 December 1950

"The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting the Silver Star to Captain John W. Edenbo, United States Air Force, for gallantry in action against the enemy on 19 July 1950, in Korea, by pressing home a bombing attack on the west railroad bridge at Seoul, Korea. As the lone bomber aircraft was committed to the bomb run it was subjected to repeated and determined attacks by enemy fighters attempting to defend the target, an important link in the supply routes of the aggressor forces. On the third of these attacks, an enemy YAK-9 inflicted damage on the B-29 and wounded Captain Edenbo. Although bleeding profusely about the face, neck and hands, he refused a sedative for relief of his pain and directed the bombardier to continue the bomb run. Thirty seconds from the bomb release point, anti-aircraft fire was encountered. In spite of the strong defense by the enemy and without regard for his own wounds, Captain Edenbo persisted in the attack which resulted in direct hits on the bridge. The gallantry and courage of Captain Edenbo in the face of determined resistance and despite his painful wounds, reflect great credit upon himself and the United States Air Force and are in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service.

B-29 (44-69866) - This aircraft was damaged by three KPAFAC Yak-9 fighters near Seoul, Korea and the crew bailed out over the Yellow Sea on July 12, 1950. It was the first B-29 loss to enemy fighters in the Korean War. The plane was written off as too damaged to repair. The crew members were:

If this is coming from former Soviet or Russian sources, I question their validity.

According to the referenced site, the following B-29s were lost or damaged due to Yak-9s.

Bugs' Ball Buster (44-61638) - Damaged July 19, 1950 by a Yak-9. Only one crew member was wounded. He received a Silver Star for his actions during this incide and his citation explains what happened that day.

• Edenbo, Capt. John W. - WIA
Silver Star citation - Headquarters, Far East Air Forces, General Orders No. 149 - 26 December 1950

"The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting the Silver Star to Captain John W. Edenbo, United States Air Force, for gallantry in action against the enemy on 19 July 1950, in Korea, by pressing home a bombing attack on the west railroad bridge at Seoul, Korea. As the lone bomber aircraft was committed to the bomb run it was subjected to repeated and determined attacks by enemy fighters attempting to defend the target, an important link in the supply routes of the aggressor forces. On the third of these attacks, an enemy YAK-9 inflicted damage on the B-29 and wounded Captain Edenbo. Although bleeding profusely about the face, neck and hands, he refused a sedative for relief of his pain and directed the bombardier to continue the bomb run. Thirty seconds from the bomb release point, anti-aircraft fire was encountered. In spite of the strong defense by the enemy and without regard for his own wounds, Captain Edenbo persisted in the attack which resulted in direct hits on the bridge. The gallantry and courage of Captain Edenbo in the face of determined resistance and despite his painful wounds, reflect great credit upon himself and the United States Air Force and are in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service.

And the only fighter known to be shot down by yak-9 in korea
Was F-80C 49-698 19. July 1950

The only one confirmed to be crashed due to
Damage from yak-9s 20mm guns

I do not want to put down the original poster, just curious how it went into the books. Loss by enemy fighter or loss by going in the sea, World of difference i think.
They knew it was shot up and crew bailed so.. Damaged beyond repair i would think it would have made it to the airfield or near. Not nose down into the sea without crew. That would be a kill.

Your thoughts guys?

I do not want to put down the original poster, just curious how it went into the books. Loss by enemy fighter or loss by going in the sea, World of difference i think.
They knew it was shot up and crew bailed so.. Damaged beyond repair i would think it would have made it to the airfield or near. Not nose down into the sea without crew. That would be a kill.

Your thoughts guys?
It was extracted verbatim from a USAF document, IMO, perhaps using semantics to avoid saying it was downed by enemy aircraft

F-82G operational losses during the Korean War

• 46-357 (6160th ABW, 68th FAWS) MIA 28 May 1951, 20 mi (32 km) N of 38th parallel.
  • 46-364 (6160th ABW, 68th FAWS) destroyed on ground at Suwon, Korea, 29 June 1950 by enemy aircraft.
  • 46-373 (6160th ABW, 68th FAWS) crashed 5 mi (8.0 km) NW of Brady AB, Japan, 12 February 1951.
  • 46-375 (6160th ABW, 68th FAWS) crashed 16 December 1950.
  • 46-378 (6160th ABW, 68th FAWS) shot down by AAA 3 July 1951.
  • 46-391 (51st FIG, 4th FAWS) in midair collision with F-80C 49-704 between Fukuoka and Ashiya AB, Japan, 29 September 1950.
  • 46-394 (6160th ABW, 68th FAWS) MIA 14 March 1951.
  • 46-399 (6160th ABW, 68th FAWS) MIA 27 January 1951.
  • 46–400 (6160th ABW, 68th FAWS) crashed near K-14 7 December 1950.
  • 46-402 (51st FIG, 68th FAWS) MIA 6 July 1950.
During the Korean war, 22 F-82s were lost, including 11 in combat missions and 11 non-combat losses

Users who are viewing this thread

Back