Yakovlev VVP-6

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

comiso90

Senior Master Sergeant
Dec 19, 2006
FL
New one on me..

it cant be real.. i dont believe it, even as a concept.
please tell me this is a fantasy project:

yak_vvp-6.jpg

Yakovlev VVP-6 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Perhaps the most radical design ever to emerge from the Yakovlev OKB studio, the VVP-6 appears more science fiction than a craft likely to have seen production. The VVP-6 was designed as a giant VTOL support platform which would work in coordination with VTOL jets, such as Yakovlev's Yak-38.[1]

Among the many functions envisioned for this line of vehicles was the transportation of food, fuel and munitions. The huge, box-like design was to have been 49m long. In one version it was capable of carrying a complete SAM missile system, including 6 SA-2 (ASCC name "Guideline") missiles with launchers mounted on the craft's upper surface. Reloads and supporting radars were to be stored internally.[1]

The VVP-6 was to have been fitted with six six-blade rotors mounted on six pylons extending from the craft's sides. Each rotor was to have been driven by four turboshaft engines, giving the VVP-6 a total of 36 engines.[1]

The requirement for such a craft ended when the Soviet Air Force failed to put land-based VTOL jets into service.[1]

Yakovlev VVP-6 helicopter - development history, photos, technical data

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back