Yamato movie

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Brutal scenes. Did they use P-47s during the Yamato attack? News to me.

Fairly good effects for their budget, but someone needs to inform them that aircraft don't fly in two dimensions.

I also had to chuckle that they used the 21in deck guns for anti-aircraft weapons. :lol:

Not in that clip. They used TBMs, Hellcats, SB2Cs and I swear one green P-47. All flying in two dimensions. You must watch the clips gents.

There 18.1" and they had some AA shells for them, the elevation of the guns wasn't great though. Don't know how effective it was (don't think it would be but if hit in a formation...)

Right you are Gnomey. My mistake, I thought they were 21s and Missouri had 18s. But AA shells? Never heard of that one. Seems like that would be an effort in futility with such low rate of fire.

i wouldn't fancy their chances although in the clip they do get a few hits, i suppose you've gotta take into account the fact they had some pretty advanced radars controlling the larger guns so that would've helped..........

and it's unusual to see an attack like that from the perspective of being on the ship, very interesting!

Sorry folks for the confusion. I thought Yamamoto attack meant the time Yamamoto was shot down in his Betty!

Just saw it folks. Brutal, like someone else said. It really hit me what it feels like to be the guy on the recieving end of my aircraft bullets in video games. Maybe it seems cool to be flying around in the sky, but it's pure hell for the enemy that is getting strafed. Makes it seem like easy murder the film does.

Right you are Gnomey. My mistake, I thought they were 21s and Missouri had 18s. But AA shells? Never heard of that one. Seems like that would be an effort in futility with such low rate of fire.

At times the "big guns" of a BS were fired at low low flying torpedo planes. They did not have to hit the plane, just near it. The huge water geyser would crush the plane.

How often it was used and effective? Not much I would guess.

I had heard that they did that with the smaller 5"ers (or whatever Jap battleships were equipped with) since they had a greater rate of fire. But 18"ers seems like a waste of 3000lbs of explosive.

And Soundbreaker. I don't know why but about 15 minutes after I responded I figured out where you were coming from.

actually firing huge shells into the water ahead of a low flying attacking aircraft was common place as far as i'm aware, not only could the water spout flip the aircraft out of the air but it was very distracting and made lining up for attack difficult........

I had heard that they did that with the smaller 5"ers (or whatever Jap battleships were equipped with) since they had a greater rate of fire. But 18"ers seems like a waste of 3000lbs of explosive.

And Soundbreaker. I don't know why but about 15 minutes after I responded I figured out where you were coming from.

Well like I said not sure how effective it was. If it was able to stop even one torp hit then it was well worth the shell. Perhaps someone else could comment on how effective it "really" was. Anyone provide any real scenes or battles where it actually took out any planes.

But a full battle ship barrage? Never heard of that one.

Yup it happened. I have to think that being in a torpedo attack plane you must have had the worst survival rate out of all pilots in WW2.

I have read so many times where either USA or Japenese whole squadrons were taken out. It would of been brutal knowing your chances of returning were slim as you took off.

...using the main gun batteries. I honestly would like to hear that story. Perhaps some Betty's on low level strike against US or British battleships?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back