Yankee Iron.....or V8's if you like.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

chevy 350s seemed to all have that one ticking lifter...after x amount of miles. never did anything but was annoying. even STP wouldnt do much to quiet it.

Last edited:
What engine is that Aaron?I would venture to guess a Ford by the way the exhaust is set and dist.location and my first guess was a 312 but the head shape looks alittle off from what I remember.

Yep Aaron, he's right-on with that. A 429 Windsor is an overlooked powerhouse...not sure why everyone gives a Cleveland block so much prestige...

Probably the same reason people think 454 as a beast but completely overlook the wicked 455.

I though the 429 and the 460 were the only two in that family of motors, I have not ever known what the code was for them like the FE engine family which was the 390, 406, 427,428, and I think the 361. The Windsors were the 289, 302, and the 351. The only Cleveland I know of was the other 351. There may have been one or two other but I have not ever been knowledgeable of them.
As far as the 454 (Chevrolet) and the 455s (Buick, Oldsmobile, and Pontiac) all being different from one another. The 455s were excellent motors but it was far cheaper to build the big block Chevy than it was to build any of the other three.

8)

Attachments

• 3c3b_3.jpg
    3c3b_3.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 535
  • 5bad_3.jpg
    5bad_3.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 535
  • 7cae_3.jpg
    7cae_3.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 501
  • 426 Hemi.bmp
    1.1 MB · Views: 3,542
Last edited:
The 351W was really all buy itself.The block deck is 1" taller than the 289 or 302 and is 1" wider as well.The 351c came about 68-69(?) into mid 70's some with the 4bbl heads that really did not start working till 4000 rpm probably.There was two other engines in that same lineup as the Cleveland and they were the 351M-400M(mid70's) used alot in trucks.The 429-460 are the same block and you forgot one in the Fe line there Aaron the 391.The 361391 were generally used for industrial truck applications(dump trucks) and the "1" for no other reason (I'm guessing) was to denote the sodium filled valves.

I wanted to add that in you lined up the blocks on the floor bare 289,351 and the 429 they all look very similiar just getting bigger.I would say the block itself was a good design now the heads for each is another story when you get to the 429/460.

Last edited:
nor the 389 with a tri power set up. dont really remember how great was but i remember selling a lot of high performance stuff for them. back in 60s and early 70s there was so much great stuff. and i had a whole section of nithing but Mr. Gasket, crane cams, accell dual point gold ignition, chrome and aluminum valve...timing gear covers...oil pans....etc. about the mid 70s when the big gas crunch came it seems where i lived interest dwindled severly in souping up cars. trail bikes and snow mobiles were hitting the market strong. i ended up stocking a limited supply and would do more things by order. the local speed shop folded up. i do miss those days...

The 351W was really all buy itself.The block deck is 1" taller than the 289 or 302 and is 1" wider as well.The 351c came about 68-69(?) into mid 70's some with the 4bbl heads that really did not start working till 4000 rpm probably.There was two other engines in that same lineup as the Cleveland and they were the 351M-400M(mid70's) used alot in trucks.The 429-460 are the same block and you forgot one in the Fe line there Aaron the 391.The 361391 were generally used for industrial truck applications(dump trucks) and the "1" for no other reason (I'm guessing) was to denote the sodium filled valves.

I wanted to add that in you lined up the blocks on the floor bare 289,351 and the 429 they all look very similiar just getting bigger.I would say the block itself was a good design now the heads for each is another story when you get to the 429/460.

So does this mean then that the 429/460 were actually larger Windsor units? I have always been curious because I have never heard anyone say what (family) this block was actually in or if it was in one of it's own.

So does this mean then that the 429/460 were actually larger Windsor units? I have always been curious because I have never heard anyone say what (family) this block was actually in or if it was in one of it's own.

I will have to ask one of my cohorts in crime on that I do not think so Aaron for some reason the Windsor title came from the factory or city?I seen today and I really never paided much attention to 4.6L Windsor for an 02 Expedition.The head on a Windsor was much like the 289/302 head just a different shaped chamber and alittle bigger valves both intake and exhaust on the 4BBl heads on the 69 300hp 11:1 configuration.Thats the engine I built with with a .560/.308 cam Offie Manifold,750cfm tricked Holley,close ratio racing top loader 4/sp and a 9" posi/limited slip w/456 gears.That motor was a haus!The first time I popped the clutch after 50miles of break in it seemed all she wanted to do was go from 1st to 4th :lol:.I loved that car 70 GT Torino fastback.

The 429/460 heads were more in away kinda like the Cleveland head but not.Cheers

I think this will answer some questions...........

The Windsor is a 90-degree small-block V8 engine from Ford Motor Company. It was introduced in 1962, replacing the previous Ford Y-block engine. Though not all of the engines in this family were produced at the Windsor, Ontario engine plant (all Ford small blocks came from Cleveland, Ohio until 1966), the name stuck. The mid-sized 335 "Cleveland" V8, introduced in 1970, was to replace the larger Windsors, but this design ended up outliving its replacement. In 1991, the Windsor engine began to be phased out and replaced with Ford's new 4.6 L Modular V8 engine. In 1996, Ford replaced the 5.0 L (302 cu in) pushrod Windsor V8 with the Modular 4.6 L in the Mustang. Its use in production vehicles continued until 1997 in the F-150 and until 2001 in the Explorer. From the mid-70s through the 90s, the Windsor engine was marinized and used in many inboard boats. As of 2008, the Windsor engines including the 5.8 L (351 cu in) and 5.0 L (cu in. 302) are still being manufactured; they are available as complete crate motors from Ford Racing and Performance Parts

Ford Windsor engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

now this talks about some tech stuff w/video

The 351 Windsor is a 351 cu V8 engine. During its beginnings in 1969, the engine featured a 1.3 inches taller deck height thus increasing the stroke to be 3.5 inches. Some of the other features which make this engine unique include a tall deck block, larger main bearing caps, thicker and longer connecting rods and a firing order that is unique.

Many newbies tend to confuse the 351 Windsor with the 351 Cleveland. Yet, the 351 Cleveland is completely different because it has a bore and stroke of 4.0 x 3.5, is light in weight and has a limited horsepower range. Plus, the main thing is that the 351 Windsor belongs to the 90 degree family whereas the 351 Cleveland doesn't.

If you're interested in just getting your hands on a 351 Windsor engine, then you'll like to know that Carroll Shelby's engine company has introduced a new aluminum Ford 351 Windsor engine for kit car builders in February 2009. It is so light and can be bored and stroked to 427 cubes. Shelby sure is proud of this engine, especially with it being very much lighter than the previous Ford cast iron 351 Windsor

351 Windsor Engine + Shelby Cobra = WOW (Video) - Magazine - Connecting Kit Car Enthusiasts Worldwide | KitCarConnection.com

FE ford was also available in 410 for use in mercury cars.

The engine I find really interesting are the MEL (mercury, edsel, lincoln) series that culminated in a 462 found in those slab sided lincoln continentals with suicide doors.

Many of the best performing engines have very little reputation like the "ram air 400" trim pontiac 400 which propelled pontiacs substantially faster than any 455 did.

The 455 olds from the toronado was a moster engine rated near 390hp and 500ft pounds of torque.....just use the torque and resist the temptation to rev it and it will last forever.

Seems the toronado engine posted bigger numbers than the non-toronado trim engines for some reason. Olds did some pretty radical stuff you wouldn't expect from them.

0.jpg

Favorite big chrysler is the 413 max wedge with crossram manifolds but the champion overachiever mopar engine is definately the 340.

1961_Dodge_Seneca_413_Max_Wedge_Sedan_Engine_1.jpg

Best place to start with amc is a 401 since they came with steel cranks (most anyway) and can be found in some relatively recent international vehicles.....I really want to put a 401 into one of these......a 1979 to 1983 amc spirit compact but then again, I did some performance work on the 4.0 and I think I can get 700hp from one.

chip.jpg

Chevy was not to be left out with it's flavor of overachieving small block with cross ram in the DZ code 1969 z28.

1Y-302_crossram_completed_LF3_42.jpg

old engines are cool but the engines I currently work on are light years ahead in that I can see the entire valve from 6 inches away when looking down the lower intake manifold on the new lexus engines or this monster I'm currently working on which should be putting down 2500hp..........on the street.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMuPknhk67I

I seem to be going the opposite direction on my personal cars as I just arranged to have a nissan straight six diesel shipped over that will be turbocharged and dropped into my infiniti m30 which should net 250 ft pounds of torque and near 40mpg on the highway since I currently drive nearly 80 miles per day to and from work.

Last edited:
Might have been a Gremlin X A.B.W. Not sure if they ever installed a 401 in that from factory, but they might have. AMC was capable of doing some cool cars, Rebel Machine, SC Rambler, Hornet SC (IIRC), and of coarse the AMX's and Javelins. My dad has owned 2 390 AMX's, both with the GO Package option. I have owned a Matador, maybe 76 or so. Also have a 401 sitting in a shed at the family farm awaiting a future project.
I am a die hard Mopar and AMC fan. The 440 with the 3 carb setup was a bargain back in the day, about half the price of the Hemi, and it took a perfectly tuned Hemi to beat it. For Mopar reliability, there is no beating the Slant 6 family of engines. I've always been impressed with Ford's 300 straight 6 for reliability. Chevy's SB of course have been proven very reliable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back