Yankee Iron.....or V8's if you like.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

For a relatively unknown powerhouse, Studebaker made a series of supercharged 304 engines that were powerful, high performing little buggers for the early 60's.

I've always been impressed with Ford's 300 straight 6 for reliability. Chevy's SB of course have been proven very reliable.

We use to back in the day take a 300 Ford bore it .120" and drop 390 piston in it took it out to a 312.It would depend on the track size(dirt) but these engines allthough short lived could keep up with a V-8.As I mentioned before torque is weight in motion and these engines pulled hard coming out of a corner then the V-8 might be catching up at the next corner but you pull it coming out,cheap motor.Cheers

IcePac I remember even back in the 80's the old 340 Dodge was a needle in a haystack every guy hoped he had one.I think they only came out in 11:1 compression with there own set of heads.I hear you on the new stuff but even though I am in the field I leave the new stuff to the younger guys to fill.it just seems alot of the performance is a programmer or a chip.I was impressed with a fella who built his own computer and a program he wrote for it I think in a Mazda of some sorts with a turbo.Cheers

Oh yea was the video of the turbo for a FordGt that has got to be the hottest car to me.

340 was a very good motor, large bore and short stroke. Only reason it was killed off was that it had a hard time meeting the tightening emission standards. It's replacement the 360 is and was no slouch either, 6 1/8" rod length, 3.58 stroke. With a 4" crank you can get 410 cubes out of a 360, big block cubes without the weight penalty.

Ok, so we have the 351 Windsor and the 351 Cleveland but I remember working on Ford trucks in the 70s and 80s that had 351 Modifieds.

Whats the difference?

The 351M/400 was basically a stroked out 351C. Increased stroke, deck height, and main journal size.

To the original question of engines like you said hard to beat a Hemi but I was into FORDs Boss motors , the 302, 351 and my favorite the 429 which was in the KarKraft Mustangs and the Cougar Eliminators. They also found their way into some Comet's and Maverick's (Fast Eddie). Hell the motor probably weighed as much as the entire car.

feddie1.jpg

1969Boss302_lf_01.jpg

'69 Boss 302..

1969-mustang-boss-429-black.jpg

'69 Boss 429..

Question is, would getr either in '69 or go with Shelby's Cobra?

The 426 Hemi gave new meaning to the term "big block" as it was the heaviest engine produced at the time or even since as far as gasoline engines are concerned. The lightest engine was the Ford 427 which tipped the scales at around 650 pounds. The Chevrolet big block rang up about 685 as a 396 engine. And the 426 Hemi was overkill at an amazing 843 pounds. It was called the "elephant" motor not just because of its weight but its size. Seems like it was the heaviest, but, was it also the biggest in size?

I may be mistaken Jan but I do believe that is a Ardun headed Flat head Ford. They used these aftermarket heads to get more power out of the Flatty.

Also, Edelbrock and Offenhauser both made excellent heads for the 49A...

But your best bet was to scrounge up a Mercury block and go from there, since the Mercs had larger cubes (hard to tell the 49 - 54 blocks apart visually, except the mercs had a larger crank counterweight) :thumbleft:

*edit* lmao...Aaron, look at that block again...it's not a flathead :lol:

Flathead Ford/Mercs had waterpumps at the lead of each head...that's a Mopar Hemi

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back