Yap Planes (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Japanese floatplane and anti aircraft gun Palau

Attachments

• IMG_20170303_0010.jpg
    IMG_20170303_0010.jpg
    749.5 KB · Views: 64
me and friends Peliliu 1977

Attachments

• IMG_20170303_0014.pdf
    535 KB · Views: 96
You could say they are all Yapanese aeroplane wrecks...

Great photos guys; nice to see. Pics of the D4Y at Yasukuni taken many years ago now, here:

warbirds

Did the D4Y come from Yap and do you know when it was salvaged? The pictures I posted of what I thought was a KI-61 might actually be that plane. I only thought it was a Tony because of the engine. It was pretty torn up. My pic was taken 40 years ago.

Does anyone know if the three Zeros at the airfield were ever salvaged? There was enough there to probably build two planes.

Hi Bian, this link gives you a brief history of the Yasukuni aeroplane:

Pacific Wrecks

Useful site.

Thank you, that is super interesting. I've often wondered what happened to those planes. What I thought was a KI-61 was not at the airfield, didn't see it listed in the link you provided. Forty years ago there was WW2 stuff laying all over the place.

Last edited:
From the site mentioned above and a few others I have learned that a lot of the wreckage has been scavenged for scrap value. In fact entire sunken wrecks have been dynamited and lifted to the surface and sold as scrap metal. Which in some cases is disturbing as those ships are often treated as war graves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back