Yellow P-51B Trainer Mustang 435th FS Wattisham UK 1944 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jun 2, 2020
Given the detail in the profile there must be clearer photos of this P-51B somewhere.

P-51B Trainer Mustang Yellow 479th FG 435th FS UK 1944-cprofil-1.jpg

mustang-p-51b-5-na-43-6865 trainer Wattisham UK 1944-45-1.jpg

Copyright Jean-Marie GUILLOU

Top image from the Jeffrey Ethell Collection at ww2color.com

Couple of interesting things about that pic (at least to me). I don't see a "WW" marking (war weary) that was put near the serial # on all other 2-seat B/C's that I've seen.
Also, this definitely wasn't the only double Malcolm hood 2 seater. The 78th FG had one as well, named "Bond Baby".

BTW, this a/c belonged to the 479th FG.

Just realized there is another image of that trainer Mustang in the Collection.

P-51 TF-51 JEC 10937.jpg

Looks like an 'old hand' in the front seat and a 'new hand' behind him. Should it have been the other way around ie. trainee up front? That would be typical if it was a new pilot being checked out.

J.

Last edited:
The P-51 is P-51B-5-NA.

This aircraft was initially assigned to 486FS, 352FG, 8AF USAAF. Trasnferred to 496FTG, 8AF USAAF.
Transferred from the 496th Fighter Training Group sometime during the month of November 1944 when the Fighter Training Groups were disbanded and the training of new combat pilots was accomplished by the main line Fighter Groups.
The aircraft shows up on the 20th Fighter Group Monthly Inventory List on 6 December 1944 and remained with this Group until it was transferred to the 434th Fighter Squadron/479th Fighter Group on 9 April 1945. For about 2 weeks at the end of March 1945 the aircraft was on Detached Service with the 56th Fighter Group.

Coded PZ-X. Olive Drab. Invasion stripes obscured the X, repeated on starboard side of nose.
Coded PZ-M_.
Coded KI-Q. B&W striped nose. Natural metal finish. Q in Black triangle on tail. WW for war weary on tail.
Coded J2-Q_. Yellow all-over scheme with black spinner and black accents. Tail serial had '4' added to front.

media-34400.jpg

the pic and info source: 43-6865 | American Air Museum in Britain

This is a great find!
I doubt this was a 'Trainer'...its not Trainer Yellow (I'd love to know exactly what code yellow was used) and the graphics/striping suggest something more personal.
I'd say its a 'Hack"...maybe even used for observers/recon.
The bubble canopies are often used when they wanted better views and photography.
And almost every group had a cab of some sort.

I did a scale paper model of the P51B Hack that took Eisenhower for a recon.
I'd love to do a model of this one...but the double bubble canopy is something I can't reproduce in paper.
Anyway, the yellow paint scheme is unique.

Attachments

• 436877 DISPLAY.jpg
    436877 DISPLAY.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 52
  • eisenhower.jpg
    eisenhower.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 50
This is a great find!
I doubt this was a 'Trainer'...its not Trainer Yellow (I'd love to know exactly what code yellow was used) and the graphics/striping suggest something more personal.
I'd say its a 'Hack"...maybe even used for observers/recon.
The bubble canopies are often used when they wanted better views and photography.
And almost every group had a cab of some sort.

I did a scale paper model of the P51B Hack that took Eisenhower for a recon.
I'd love to do a model of this one...but the double bubble canopy is something I can't reproduce in paper.
Anyway, the yellow paint scheme is unique.
North American P-51 Mustang stars look down.

..but the double bubble canopy is something I can't reproduce in paper.

airdave airdave ...

Is that model by you? If it is, the cockpit canopy looks very good. I have noticed you used the three-part mesh for reproducing the bubble canopy.
Schowek01.jpg

Schowek01a.jpg

Schowek02.jpg

the pic source: 1/33 P-51B/C Mk. 3 Mustang RAF 316 Squadron Polish - PaperModelers.com

However, you may use more parts for that. Halinski in his Kartonowy Arsenał 2/2012 suggested using of six pieces for making the dome. IMHO the additional central thin strip as the 7th piece could be useful for shaping of the canopy as well. Anyway the two same bubble canopies attached to the paper kit with the double cockpit should make the model.

Haliński_KA_2012_7.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back