Yet another new guy (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

crx_rogus

Recruit
May 7, 2010
York, PA
Folks -

Just joined yesterday, I've been interested in aircraft since I was wee. My grandfather learned to fly a JN-4 after driving ambulances for the French in WWI and passed some interesting tales and a photo gallery along, and my dad did radar recon in an RB-26 Invader in the mid-50s as the navigator, stationed in Wiesbaden, also some interesting stories and pictures there, and I, well, I've enjoyed reading about aircraft... (and at least have a bunch of sim hours in, not that that counts for anything)

Aircraft definitely reflect some of the gutsiest, and some of the smartest, things humans have been able to pull off.

Back in my sloppy AOL days some 14 years ago I made an error-filled Web site that apparently did little more than showcase a wide and varied assortment of erroneous aircraft history myths, especially regarding WWII warbirds. So, I'm here to try to sift myth from reality. I've learned so far that the P-38 wasn't called the "Fork-Tailed Devil" by the Germans, but possibly instead by the Japanese, although the poster didn't give any sources to back himself up. I'll be browsing around learning stuff.

Regards,
Roger

Welcome Roger. Duplicate posts have been happening to many if us from time to time. No worries.

Welcome aboard! And as a huge fan of the P-38, I've always attributed the "fork-tailed devil" to the Japanese...just doesn't sound like something the Germans would say. I think, in German, their nickname roughly translates out to "oh, crap, its on my tail!"

sign0016.gif

G'day Roger, welcome to the forum, nice to have you on board.
happy0120.gif
happy0120.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back