Yew Compass/Directional Gyro

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

textide

Recruit
Sep 28, 2008
Howdy gentlemen,

Here are a few pictures of a compass that was in my Grandfather's possession when he passed away. You're the first folks I thought to show pics of it to, once an internet search turned out fruitless.

He was in the US Air Force from '43-'72, if that narrows it down a bit :lol:

Any ideas as to what type of compass this is, or what type of plane might have had it? Just below the deviation card is the word YEW sourrounded by a box.

Front View...
compassfull.jpg

Rear View. There's a two pronged plug that looks like it runs an electric gyro that spins that card around the face of the compass.
compassback.jpg

On either side of the deviation card are two prongs that when you squeeze, opens up the front face. Inside are four stacked discs and adjustment screws.
compassinside.jpg

Again, the moveable face around the compass.
compasscloseup.jpg

Hmm. Was able to see them from this and my other computer after posting. Just made my album in photobucket 'public' if that will change anything....

If you're referring to the quality of the pics; my cellphone isn't great :)

Hmm. Was able to see them from this and my other computer after posting. Just made my album in photobucket 'public' if that will change anything....

If you're referring to the quality of the pics; my cellphone isn't great :)

Hum, dont know. I can see them now. thanks again for posting them. :)

Here you go textide, I believe this may be your insturment or of simular model. From the book Japanese Aircraft equipment by Robert C Mikesh.

Attachments

• jap.JPG
    jap.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 205
Here you go textide, I believe this may be your insturment or of simular model. From the book Japanese Aircraft equipment by Robert C Mikesh.

Wow! Thanks Micdrow, that looks exactly like it (except in much better condition). Well done! :D

Hello

The Compass is a Type 92 Model 2

Used in several japanese aircraft including the Ohka 11 MXY series (Suicide jet-planes) and zero series planes

Nice photos , it is just what i was looking for , thank you for posting them :)

You seem to be able to get the official part number for the 5th rivit on the right under the wing within 5 seconds while I'm trying to figure out if it's a rivit or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back