Yokosuka "Frances" and Mitsubish "Betty" at Nichols Field, Luzon 6 or 8 November 1944

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Keith1967

Banned
Oct 14, 2020
On one of these dates VF-15 hit Nichols Field airfield on Luzon. LtCdr GC Duncan claimd two Betty bombers destroyed on the ground and a Frances medium bomber shot down after it has taken off. Which Japanese units were operating from this airfield?

regards

Keith

On one of these dates VF-15 hit Nichols Field airfield on Luzon. LtCdr GC Duncan claimd two Betty bombers destroyed on the ground and a Frances medium bomber shot down after it has taken off. Which Japanese units were operating from this airfield?

regards

Keith
Last Mitsubishi G4M Kokutai based at Clark Field was the 763rd which was withdrawn to Japan in January 1945. Tail register numbers began with 763. I am digging through the library to find out the other information.

From what I could find, the Kokutai operating P1Y1's at this time was the 753rd. It arrived at Clark Field the beginning of November and was wiped it. The only other possible unit is the 762, which is also listed as having used this aircraft within the time frame. Sorry I could not be more specific on the P1Y1.

From what I could find, the Kokutai operating P1Y1's at this time was the 753rd. It arrived at Clark Field the beginning of November and was wiped it. The only other possible unit is the 762, which is also listed as having used this aircraft within the time frame. Sorry I could not be more specific on the P1Y1.

Did you mean P1Y1's of 763 Kokutai which were at Clark/Nichols area Nov - Dec 1944? Also 762 ku were operational in Philippines with P1Y Frances. I found that 753 kokutai was a G4M Betty unit.

P1Y1 Gekko 763 ku Clark Field PI 12-1944-print-scale-DECAL-ART-1.jpg

There may have been a recognition problem as the Hellcats of VF-15 may have misidentified a J1N1-S Irving for a P1Y1 Frances. Irvings from 153 Kokutai were in the Clark/Nichols area at that time.

J1N1-S_Gekko_153-Ku_53-85_Clark-field_PI_1945-W-1.jpg

Wouldn't it be more likely for a fighter to be taking off? Or was it a bomber by coincidence?

Darryl

Last edited:
Did you mean P1Y1's of 763 Kokutai which were at Clark/Nichols area Nov - Dec 1944? Also 762 ku were operational in Philippines with P1Y Frances. I found that 753 kokutai was a G4M Betty unit.

View attachment 632837

There may have been a recognition problem as the Hellcats of VF-15 may have misidentified a J1N1-S Irving for a P1Y1 Frances. Irvings from 153 Kokutai were in the Clark/Nichols area at that time.

View attachment 632838

Wouldn't it be more likely for a fighter to be taking off? Or was it a bomber by coincidence?

Darryl
According to the unit history, the unit had a mixture of both such aircraft. The P1Y1'S were brought in due to the G4M's being pretty much wiped out. I have a book which lists unit histories and aircraft used, so this is what I wrote here. The Cea books number 8 books and they have this kind of information. Your reasoning is sound, since it is possible they misidentified the aircraft as Irvings.

According to the unit history, the unit had a mixture of both such aircraft. The P1Y1'S were brought in due to the G4M's being pretty much wiped out. I have a book which lists unit histories and aircraft used, so this is what I wrote here. The Cea books number 8 books and they have this kind of information. Your reasoning is sound, since it is possible they misidentified the aircraft as Irvings.
With apologies gentlemen. I am not sure how I failed to see these replies before. I blame... age, wine....Your replies are very much appreciated. The reasoning that his victory may have been over an "Irving" rather than a "Frances" is very, very plausible. The brave last moments of a Japanese fighter crew to defend the airfield is more likely than an equally brave bomber crew trying to save their aircraft.

best regards

Keith

Users who are viewing this thread

Back