Your 6th Sense stories

Discussion in 'OFF-Topic / Misc.' started by Geedee, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Geedee

Geedee Well-Known Member

Decided to walk to work today…all 4 miles…cos I was feeling depressed and fancied a change. On the way, I got to thinking about some of the ‘hair raising’ close shaves I’ve had over the years and was wondering if you guys ‘n’ gals have any you’d like to share ?

One of mine was from a large number of years ago when myself and two mates decided to do a ‘road trip’ on our bikes for a couple of weeks. I was on my Honda 550, Rich on his Honda 400/4 and Geoff on his Kwak 400. So we loaded up all our gear into big rucksacks and piled stuff all over the bikes that we thought we’d need. Because I had a luggage rack on my bike, I took the tent and all the all the rest of the stuff that wouldn’t fit into bags and off we went.

About 4 days into the trip, we came to the start of the Yorkshire Moors. It was a glorious day, next to no traffic and we’d been riding for about 4 hours so I pulled over for a break. Being responsible bikers, we all decided to be real daring and not wear our helmets for the trip across the Moor…and s*d the laws and consequences.

Off we went. And the pace picked up until we were fair wazzing along. All on heavily laden bikes remember.

For some bizzare and totally unprompted reason, I got a thought in my head that the split link that holds the bikes final drive chain together wasn’t on anymore. Not really something you want to think about when behaving irresponsibly….but that thought wouldn’t go away.

Came to the end of the Moors and we pulled over for chat and laugh…and my blood didn’t run cold….it froze !. The split link on my chain just wasn’t there…at all !. The clip and ‘blanking plate’ just weren’t there !. I had no idea when it had come off, or even why it had decided it wasn’t going to play. There is no way that I could have heard it fall off with wind blast and noise from my cut down four into one race pipe. All I know was that I was extremely lucky to be alive. I don’t need to paint a picture of what could have happened if that chain had come off and jammed up the rear wheel…at speed…on a bike loaded with stuff…with no helmet .

What was really spooky tho’ was there happened to be a bike shop literally just across the road where we parked, and they had a complete split link that would fit the chain. And it was the last one in the shop !.

That night when we pitched the tent and found a pub, I raised more than one glass to my Guardian Angel !

Your turn...

2. sabrina

sabrina Member

Business Owner
    Home Page:
    That's quite a story, Gary. I can't remember all the times where I've had a funny feeling and it wound up saving my hide. Goes to show you shouldn't ignore your intuition...

I was at a red light once, going home the same way I have for years, when on a whim I quickly turned right on red and detoured, going completely out of my way and ended up in a subdivision. I had to get back onto the main road; when I peeked back at the red light, I saw the same vehicles just starting to pull forward when someone blew through the intersection and hit every single car. It was chilling listening to all the sirens for the rest of the way home....

3. B-17engineer

B-17engineer Active Member

model builder
    Hmmmmm

My dad had one at work where he pulled over a guy and he never asks anyone to step out on a traffic stop but to him something didn't feel right. He did and right between the seats was an AK47.....

4. Capt. Vick

Capt. Vick Well-Known Member

I have a some what similar story, but I chose to ignore that little voice in my head. Long story short. Great day out on my Sportster, short ride to get some gas, fairly convinced myself that I was going to get hit by a car. Sure enough leaving the gas station an old woman (literally rushing to church!) crossed the double-yellow and took out the front of the bike and sent me to the pavement. Not life threatning, but if I was a little further out into the road...maybe

Oh damn, I just remembered another one when I guess I did listen, though subconsiously. At school in Dayton Beach. Out eating dinner with my room mate, he drove to Morrisons Buffet I think it was. Anyway, for some reason, completely out of the blue I say I want to drive his car back to the apartment. Never had the urge before. Light turns green at the parking lot to exit and a Semi flies through the red light going like 60 miles an hour. Nothing new there, except that my buddies MO was to always gun it as soon as the light turned green...everytime. I think we both just looked at each other as it sank in...