Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mosquito

• IL 2

• Other

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wasnt the Dauntless a Torpedo Bomber or am I thinking of a different USN aircraft?
Different.... Dauntless was the Navy Divebomber....
I would have Voted for the Stuka but the IL 2 could do the same things but it was faster and better protected.
Yup, but this isnt best, this is favorite.... I like the look of those 2 cannon hangin under the wings, and the sound they make...

Dauntless was a dive bomber, Devestator was a torpedo bomber.

My favourite is the Beaufighter! Had a shit load of cannon, machine guns and could carry rockets, bombs and torpedoes. The Japs gave it the nick name of "whispering death".

Sorry to be pedantic, but it was Silent death actually, my grandad loved that plane.

It had silent sleeve-valve engines, though so do did others in WW2.

Jabberwocky said:
Tempest doesn't have a radial engine. The Sabre was a 24 cylinder H-form engine.

I'll try again... was it the Napier?

It may have been the Typhoon?

Erich said:
now you've got me looking CC :D the Hs 123 and this is right off the top of my head served in the night ground attack role over the Ost front till wars end with sub nachtschlact gruppen

Interesting! I always though it was phased out in '43 in North Africa, but staying till wars end wouldnt surprise me, it was an effective platform...

Jabberwocky said:
Tempest doesn't have a radial engine. The Sabre was a 24 cylinder H-form engine. Visualize it as 2 horizontally opposed 12 cylinder engines (each with 6 cylinders on each side of the crankshafts) one above the other, with the crankshafts coupled together through gear reduction onto a common propeller shaft.

The Tempest II had a radial but that didnt see service till post war...

It's a hard call but a B-25 with

8 - .50s in the nose
4 - .50s outside the cockpit
2 - .50s in the top turret
All slaved to the pilot AND

3,000lbs of bombs.

At the very least I don't want to be in front of it!

wmaxt

MacArther said:
yes, and dont forget the optional 75mm, all this added up to a world of hurt for the people on the wrong side of the gun barrels.

The 75 was another matter, my uncle once told me they had to tighten the rivets in the planes with the 75s every 18/20 sorties. They also didn't have much of a firing rate or much amo - I think I'd rather have the .50s.

BTW: there is an H model in the New England Muesum of Flight at Bradly Int. Airport.

wmaxt

I voted for the B-25. Although the proper name is A-25. I like with the 75mm gun on including the pilot controllable 8 .50 calibers in the nose!

That could tear some ass....

P38 Pilot said:
I voted for the B-25. Although the proper name is A-25. I like with the 75mm gun on including the pilot controllable 8 .50 calibers in the nose!

That could tear some ass....

I don't belive the B-25 gunships ever changed their desigination - partialy because the normaly retained full use of their bombay.

The 75, 6 gun and 8 gun (in the nose) retained the cheek guns so they had a lot of firepower.

I read once that there is at least 1 B-25 pilot that is an ace by shooting down 5 Japanese aircraft in the air. :shock:

wmaxt

I like your idea with the 75mm gun on the B-25 but why are you also forgetting that the Boston/Havoc also carried one and preformed the same roll in the pacific as the B-25.

102first_hussars said:
There was two different planes the B-25 Maurader and the A-20.

You mean the B-26 Maurader or the B-25 Mittchel??? The Maurader was used more in ETO as a medium bomber. I was pointing out that the A-20 should also be considered just as good as the B-25 if they were basing it on the 75mm gun that it carried; since they both did.

book1182 said:
102first_hussars said:

You mean the B-26 Maurader or the B-25 Mittchel??? The Maurader was used more in ETO as a medium bomber. I was pointing out that the A-20 should also be considered just as good as the B-25 if they were basing it on the 75mm gun that it carried; since they both did.

The 75s were more numerous and successful in the B-25s, which had factory installations, I belive. Without auto load the 75 really wasn't that practicle in a plane anyway, thats why the later planes like the A-26 went back to the guns.

wmaxt

book1182 said:
102first_hussars said:

Yeah my error I was just pointinng out another error about someone saying that the B-25 and the A-20 were the same plane.

If theyre fighters, then it is remarkable! 8) I suspect that they were probably bombers and suchlike though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back