Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mosquito

• IL 2

• Other

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yeah! A bomber doesnt have the manuveriblilty or accuracy that a fighter has and when bringing down fighters, thats one hell of a pilot!

If the B-25 wasnt up there, i would have voted for the Mossie. She was a very elegant aircraft that packed a punch!

I voted Mosquito because the term 'attack' can be spread among many air-to-ground assault missions and the Mosquito did them all. From anti-tank to anti-ship, from anti-submarine to anti-factory the Mosquito did them all, and not only that, it did them all well if not the best.

And I believe dive-bombing was introduced in Germany by an American aircraft the F2F? Someone feel free to correct me, but I believe it was Udet that performed an aerial display in a Grumman F2F which convinced Hitler and the Luftwaffe staff of the possibilities of dive bombing. Now that is being technical, although I believe several different aircraft carried on the doctrine into the Spanish Civil War.

And the Beaufighter was nicknamed "Whispering Death" like wmaxt said, not "Silent Death" as schwarz stated.

PlanD:

I voted Mosquito because the term 'attack' can be spread among many air-to-ground assault missions and the Mosquito did them all. From anti-tank to anti-ship, from anti-submarine to anti-factory the Mosquito did them all, and not only that, it did them all well if not the best.

Good point, but didn't the Ju88 do the same? Didn't they suffer from being a 'Jack of all trades'?

And I believe dive-bombing was introduced in Germany by an American aircraft the F2F? Someone feel free to correct me, but I believe it was Udet that performed an aerial display in a Grumman F2F which convinced Hitler and the Luftwaffe staff of the possibilities of dive bombing.

Sounds familiar.

And the Beaufighter was nicknamed "Whispering Death" like wmaxt said, not "Silent Death" as schwarz stated.

My grandad was there PlanD, his buddies and captured Japs called it silent death, that's why I got a little shirty, sorry. :oops:

It may have been called whispering death also, but I reckon that's post WW2?

A question; What ammo did the Mosquito's 57mm use?

(Ju87 used precious tungsten in it's APCR)

No, it was during the war, the Beaufighter was nicknamed "Whispering Death" - there's even a book called Whispering Death who was a navigator in the Beaufighter. I think he would know.

The Ju-88 was as, if not more, versatile as the Mosquito. They were both good at all the jobs they did. The Mosquito being the most precise medium bomber of the war, an effective maritime attack aircraft, most successful night-fighter, second most useful PR platform (behind the Spitfire) amongst many other things. The Mosquito was one of the finest aircraft of the war without a doubt.

Ask yourself that question. Do you think the Ju-88 or Mosquito suffered? Do you think they couldn't do the jobs required of them? Do you think they were hampered in anyway? Or do you think they were extremely useful, versatile and pivotal for the sides they fought for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back