Your favorite late war piston-engine German bomber?

favorite late-war German piston-engine bomber?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Oreo

Senior Airman
Jul 18, 2008
South Carolina
Here's one I don't see people talking a whole lot about. What is your favorite, for whatever reason, German piston-engined bomber of the later war years, say 1942-45? I will only post ones that were still in production and saw squadron service at that time, were not designed specifically for ground attack, fighter-bomber, recon, or close support, and only multi-engine types. Hopefully no one feels disenfranchised by my choices, but if so, sorry, that's life. Remember we are talking about the second half or so of the air war here, the BoB is long past, and Germany is struggling. What is your fav piston-engine bomber of that time period?

nice idea for a poll, my votes for the HE111 just because I like its shape with that full glass nose it looks in my opinion the most streamlined of the German bombers

nice idea for a poll, my votes for the HE111 just because I like its shape with that full glass nose it looks in my opinion the most streamlined of the German bombers

I think by 1944 the He 111 had quietly improved to the point that it was still a very viable combat aircraft. I think they accomplished some things at night on the eastern front, but were mostly kept grounded the last year or so of the war due to lack of fuel, personnel, etc. Its performance and armament rivaled that of a B-25 or B-26 of the same time period, including a dorsal turret. It did lack tail guns, though. It was not the worthless lug some might have you think in 1944.

I have an almost perverse attraction to the good old He 111 over the Ju 88 series, but the performance and the sexy look of the Ju 188 is just irresistible... the He 177 is of course bigger, meaner, and more capable. But that wasn't the question now was it..?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back