Your favorite Pacific battle / campaign to study?

Your favorite Pacific campaign or battle to study / discuss?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sys, of course you are right. The weakness of books that contain more human interest stories is that the historical accuracy is sometimes compromised by personal opinions. I like Lundstrom's books about the Pacific War because they are exhaustively researched and seemingly very authoritative but they sometimes spend a little time on the people involved and their personalities. One anecdote in his books was about John McCain's grandfather who, in 1942, was the Commander of all Pacific Air. He was boarding either Lexington or Saratoga while under way at sea for a conference of all the big wigs. The Lex and Sara were apparently notorious rollers and he had just stepped onto a landing near the water line when the ship did one of it's capricious rolls and he was soaked to the waist. Had to attend the meeting in a sodden state.

:lol: Yeah...I love the personal accounts as well. Thanks for those titles, I'm headin over to Amazon to look em up! I have a hard time keeping units and numbers from gettin all mixed up (or forgotten) in my noggin, but its nice to have at least a general overview of various battles/campaigns/theaters-of-operations...keeps the individual stories in context.

RA, while you are at it, if you would like to read probably the foremost writer on the early Pacific War, get John Lundstrom's "The First Team." I have read it twice and there is info in there that will give you a new perspective about that portion of WW2.

Favorite Pacific battle to discuss/debate is the Pearl Harbor attack with the conspiracy theorists who still believe "FDR knew".

Of course these "experts" also believe in the Bermuda Triangle, Big Foot, the Loch Ness Monster, the Area 51 aliens and September 11th was an "inside job".

TO

RA, while you are at it, if you would like to read probably the foremost writer on the early Pacific War, get John Lundstrom's "The First Team." I have read it twice and there is info in there that will give you a new perspective about that portion of WW2.

Added both of his "First Team" books to my list! Thanks for the info! :occasion5:

Just to throw my opinion in, I had to go with the Battle of Midway. Personally, the US Navy was outnumbered and outclassed in several areas compared to the Japanese (more carriers, faster fighters, etc.), yet they still managed to win through some cleverness and a bit of sheer luck (though I was kinda sad when I read about the Yorktown being sunk at the end of the battle).
Though, I wouldn't mine learning more about the Burma and Indian Theatre. Personally, I would take William Slim over Bernard Montgomery anyday.

Just to throw my opinion in, I had to go with the Battle of Midway. Personally, the US Navy was outnumbered and outclassed in several areas compared to the Japanese (more carriers, faster fighters, etc........

Its the subject of many other threads, but the USN wasnt as outnumbered as you think. Even though we had three carriers, the total number of aircraft was about the same. Plus we had the advantage of surprise.

Remember the first time that I read that Yorktown was sunk at Midway, very sad indeed! Then, when I noticed they kept writing about a Yorktown, I was confused....took a while before I realized that it was the CV-10 that they were writing about...young, innocent and all that stuff! :oops:

Always had a huge affection for the Yorktown, CV-5 and 10, don't know why!

Remember the first time that I read that Yorktown was sunk at Midway, very sad indeed! Then, when I noticed they kept writing about a Yorktown, I was confused....took a while before I realized that it was the CV-10 that they were writing about...young, innocent and all that stuff! :oops:

Always had a huge affection for the Yorktown, CV-5 and 10, don't know why!

Lucky, you gotta get to Charleston, SC and go aboard CV-10. Lot's of nice exhibits and warbirds to see. (didn't mean to get off topic, sorry)

TO

Attachments

• DSCN3227_640x480.JPG
    DSCN3227_640x480.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 37
Rough count at Midway according to Morison: IJN-seven BBs, four CVAs, ten CAs, thirty DDs, two CVLs, a lot of subs and oilers. 105 VFs, 97 VBs, 101 VTs.
USN-three CVAs, seven CAs, one CL, seventeen DDs,several oilers and subs. 79 VFs, 112 VBs and 42 VTs.
On Midway-27VFs, 27VBs, 6 VTs plus 4 B26s, 20 B17s. All of the aircraft in the IJN fleet were effective. Actually only the 79 VFs, 112 VBs of the USN carriers were effective and a few Wildcats and the six new TBFs on Midway were first line.

Here are the IJN totals as per Steve Parsall.
Akagi:50 24VF 18VB 18VT
Kaga: 72 27VF 18VB 27VT
Soryu: 55 21VF 16VB 18VT
Hiryu: 57 21VF 18VB 18VT
234 Carrier Aircraft

The following carriers were not gong to be in the battle untill June 6th at the earliest.
Hosho: 8 Obsolete Fighters
Zuiho: 8 VF and 8 Obsolete VF 12VT
16 Usable Carrier Aircraft.

From my sources:
US
Yorktown:75 25VF 37VB 13VT
Hornet:80 27VF 38VB 15VT
Enterpise:79 27VF 38VB 14VT
234 Carrier Aircraft

Midway Atoll: 7VF 6VT 17 VT and 31 PBY's, 4 B26's and 17 B17's
82 Aircraft

Thus we see that although the Japanese had more carriers, the US had just as many aircraft. Even if we were to allow for decided inferiority of the US TBD's, that's offset by the superiority of the Dauntless over the Val.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back