Your favourite German designers/company?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tomo pauk

Creator of Interesting Threads
Apr 3, 2008
The German designers and companies produced many a good airplanes, not only in ww2. What design 'buro', or what aircraft-producing company is your favorite, based on their ww2 designs? Mass produced airplanes should be the guidance, also the prototypes, but not paper projects.

I'm a big fan of Ernst Heinkel. He produced a host of designs to specifications that were sometimes at odds with one another and also had what I consider to be the first jet fighter in the He 280. He wasn't popular with the German high command, but came up with many innovative aircraft that performed well, were robust and could easily have been better choices for production. The Bf 109 was a great plane, to be sure, but the He 112 and He 100 could just as easily have been the mainstays of the Luftwaffe had Ernst not been somewhat unpopular with certain officials.

They flew a lot of Hienkels despite that and he proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that his planes were an excellent value for the Reich.

While I'm not a fan of the He 177, the He 277 could easily have been a game changer and would have been the only strategic bomber Germany had, seeing as how they also didn't build the Me 264 in any of its versions except for prototypes.

Last edited:
Luftwaffe would have been in serious trouble without DB601/DB605 engine.

Schnellboot and other small vessels were powered by MB501 diesel engines.

Daimler-Benz produced quite a few motor vehicles for Heer plus components for other manufacturers such as armored vehicle turrets.

As the OP's question is favourite rather than best or most effective for me it has to be Messerchsmitt.The appeal of Messerchmitt to me is not the BF 109,262, 110 but rather the 232 and 163. One quitley effective unsung transport hero and one totally over the top, balls out daft interceptor.

While I'm not a fan of the He 177, the He 277 could easily have been a game changer and would have been the only strategic bomber Germany had, seeing as how they also didn't build the Me 264 in any of its versions except for prototypes.

The He 177 was a strategic bomber as well. Later variants of the 177 started to overcome the problem of the coupled engines. The design had great potential.

One of my favorites. If RLM had fully supported his efforts rather then feeding him crumbs WWII Germany might have employed thousands of helicopters rather then a few dozen.

Anton Flettner was part of WWI German wire guided weapons program. Another area he might have contributed during 1930s if RLM had given him a design contract.

It's not surprising U.S. Government smoothed his path to move to USA during 1945.

I thought this thread was favorite designer / company. For favorite WWII aircraft, mine is a close match between the Bf 109 and the A6M5 Zero ... hard to pick, at least for me. Right behind those two is either a Macchi 202/205 or a Reggiane Re.2005 ... again, tough to choose.

I suppose that is because I grew up around American warbirds and the others are more ... "exotic." In the case of the Macchi and Reggiane (even a Fiat G.55/56), I've never even seen one in person. Despite being a volunteer at the Planes of Fame, it's still a thrill to see the Zero fly since it doesn't fly very often and is the only one left flying on the original enginer and propeller.

I suppose if I ever saw a flying Mosquito, it might move well up in the rankings, too. These days there is only one, and it isn't close enough to go see easily.

Krupp, from Cannons to Coffee makers! how diversified is that?

How about Junkers Bill? Flying boats to water boilers :)

No favourite company or designer here, there were some great designs by all. Do especially love Kurt Tank's Fw 190D- family and the Horten Brothers Ho VI and IX V3 though, not to mention Ernst Heinkel's beautiful He 219...

The designers working at the Deutsche Forshungsinstitut fur Segelflug (DFS) at Darmstadt in the 1930s. Georgii,Lippisch,Madelung etc. Also the men who flew the results like Riedel,Groenhoff and Kronfeld.Other German aerodynamicists contributed too,Prandlt,von Karman,Millikan et alter. Germany had a serious lead in this field in the 1930s.
Without their work WW2 aircraft would have been very different.
NACA had been publishing their results in the US,often as technical memoranda,from 1934. Many British designers,notably Shenstone (of Spitfire fame) GTR Hill,BM Jones,GM Buxton,were heavily influenced by their work.
Shenstone,in his diary,raises the possibility of Lippisch,after delivering a lecture to the Royal Aeronautical Society in 1938,working for Supermarine. Now that would have been interesting!
Cheers
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back