Your least favorite aircraft (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Boulton-Paul Defiant....... What were the designers thinking?

Oh, unkind! Considering the specification it had to fulfil I think they made the most of it. It was ordered as a bomber destroyer and there is little doubt it would have acquitted itself well if the Germans had sent bombers over from Germany. Events proved otherwise when the Germans over-ran France and were able to station their aircraft just the other side of the Channel, which meant their fighters were able to reach England. Against single seat fighters the Defiant had little chance as it was slower and less nimble. Can you blame the Air Staff of the 1930s for raising the specification? Who would have thought that the French could have been defeated in such a short time? Just shows that trying to read the future isn't easy.

Unkind? No forward firing guns. What more can be said.

TO

Hi,

The BV-141 (that asymmetrical plane) wasn't very attractive either. However, it is sort of cool in a sick, bizare kind of way.

I wonder what the test pilot thought when he saw the plane for the first time and told he's got to take it up for its initial flight test?

river

On reflection I agree with Adler, he called it right and they are not necessarily the same.

Now, not sure yet if this is my least favourite, but a plane I resent is the Blackburn Firebrand, it looks impressive, especially with a centaurus, it 'should' have been the outstanding Torpedo fighter of the War,Hell, even the name is bloody marvellous! BUT it didn't even reach the squadrons until well after the war, bloody disgrace.

Which makes me think, did Blackburn actually get a combat aircraft right before they had a spectacular change of form and built the Buccaneer? It was the best strike aircraft in the world but its pedigree is less than stellar. Its allmost as if Boulton Paul suddenly Built the F-86 :)

Last edited:
anything italian or russian..
the norwegian had a couple of capronis before the war. i spoke with one of the pilots a few years ago and he said theyw ere totally usless..if you had fuel on them they couldent carry bomba dn if the had bombs you couldent have fuel.. as the norwegian pilot said the Fish ( the norwegian Gov. paid the italian with fish for the two planes ) had been a better weapons against the germanas as those could be thrown..

and just look at it..it must be the most terrible design ever ( and the few we had never flew..it was always something wrong with them )

Attachments

• Caproni310.jpg
    Caproni310.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 66
P.S. does my blue theme look better then the red theme?

No. Those jeans don't make you look fat either ... honest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back