zero vs. 109 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

grwhyte

Airman
Apr 18, 2007
Toronto
I ask the experts out there if there was ever a time when German pilots flew the Japonese Zero As well as vise versa? If so has there been any documented comments from either side.

I know that the Japanese flew the 109 and that at least one E version was given to Japan before the attack on Pearl Harbour. If I recall correctly, the Japanese didn't like the lack of agility compared to their own fighters.

As far as I know there was no tests done by the germans on japanese aircraft.

The Japanese did test a few German aircraft.

The Bf-109 was a Bf-109E-3. They also flew a few Bf-108's and I believe a Junkers Ju-87B. Not 100% on the last one though

Perhaps the Japs, in particular the JAAF, should have paid attention to the Me109's protection, speed and dive. There is no doubt that even a 109E would have had the same superiority over the Hurricanes, P39 and P40's the Japs faced as well as being far better for attacking bombers.

The range of the european type fighters would have been a limiting factor in the Pacific war. Even in the CBI airfields were not as prevelant as in Europe. If I remember correctly it is only 800 miles from London to Warsaw. It is hard for me to remember that distances in Europe are not nearly as great as here in the US. One can drive 800 miles north from Brownsville, Texas and still be in Texas.

The range of the european type fighters would have been a limiting factor in the Pacific war. Even in the CBI airfields were not as prevelant as in Europe.

True to a degree, but remember the JAAF were replacing the Ki 27 which didn't have a great range.

Me

Bf109E-7, Japan, 1941 Five Bf109s were sent to Japan, sans armament, for evaluation. While in Japan they received the standard Japanese hinomarus and yellow wing leading edges, as well as white numerals on the rudder. A red band outlined in white is around the rear fuselage. Study of the Bf109 in Japan led to the design of the formidable Ki-61 Hein.

There was also a bomber that Germany was making available to Japan but as several countries wouldn't allow them to fly over, it became too far to fly and was abandoned. I just came across this and that quickly can't remember the model. I love getting old. I think it was either a He 277 or Ju 290 or something similar.

There was also a bomber that Germany was making available to Japan but as several countries wouldn't allow them to fly over, it became too far to fly and was abandoned. I just came across this and that quickly can't remember the model. I love getting old. I think it was either a He 277 or Ju 290 or something similar.

Neither the He 277 or Ju 290 were being designed as bombers for Japan. You might be confused with the mythical flights that the Ju 290 might have taken to Japan. The Germans wanted to fly the aircraft (it had the range to do so) to Japan for trade purposes and bring back needed suplies to Germany and vice versa.

It is possible that one took a flight to Manchuria but evidence now shows that it never happened.

I digress a little but it shouldn't be fogotten that of all planes the Japanese used the BR20.
They sure picked them

You are most certaintly correct, Adler but there was some sort of four-engined bomber that was going to be shipped to Japan. I just read this last week and hell if I can remember where. When I find it......:evil:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back