**** DONE: GB-52 1:48 Boeing B-29 - Heavy Hitters IV

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Won't be getting anything done; packing for camp. On the plus side, I only work 6 days this tour and then off for 23. I've read about a few fit issues and a test drive of the left wing halves show I don't have to worry about that one. Still have the right one, cockpit offset (one build), canopy (one build) and fuselage (several builds). BIG!!! You say BIG!!! I'll show you what I have to deal with

IMG_1639.JPG

Quite typical I would say. These parts always come off. Especially if the sprue parts are broken off from the main tree.

I still remember building that monster over 40 years ago. From what I can remember I really enjoyed putting it together. I do remember having to work rather fast gluing the fuselage and wing halves together back in the days of tube glue or nothing. :lol:

Thanks for that Don. Found another shorter walkaround that showed the landing gear innards having red primer under the worn green primer. Lots of great interior detail in this beast but for this one, if it can't be seen, it won't be added or painted. Got rid of the whacking great broken attachment points and flash on the fuselage and did a togetherness test drive....not too shabby. Another area of concern with some builds was a crappy canopy fit so I cut it from the sprue tree and did a test fit...again not to shabby. I started looking for easy stuff to do to get me started so I started with the horizontal stabilizers. Easyish would be more like it. The ever present flash on the upper half.

IMG_1648.JPG

Not sure what these are but they will need to be removed for a good fit

IMG_1649.JPG

Tested out my stretched sprue skills using the kit sprue. With some other kit plastics I can't get it to stretch more than an inch before it breaks but I got some very fine strands with this kit. Why.....? This kit has raised panel lines which I will replace instead of removing them and engraving them. I'm not ready for that yet

IMG_1651.JPG

There are four half inch mold release marks on both cockpit halves that need attending to and then I'll figure out what I'll add and leave out. A lot behind the pilots seat will be invisible

Last edited:
Tail feathers glued together so I started looking at the innards. One builder said he got the cockpit to sit cockeyed but I think he may have got the front bulkhead set up wrong. There are no positive location points for this so I measured a small opening at the bottom of the bulkhead and then marked the bottom of the fuselage. You can just make out the pencil marks at the arrow points of "C". This allows the cockpit floor to sit squarely on the nubs on the bulkhead "D". The front of the cockpit just barely fits on the forward nubs "E". There are none on the left fuselage. Not sure what nub "B" is all about and will be removed. Line "A" shows that the upper half on a mold ejector is the only one the will be showing; right against the wiring of course

IMG_1653.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back