**** DONE: GB-58 1/48 Messerschmitt Bf110G-4 - Night Fighters all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Question Wurger Wurger Wojtek:

Eduard depict this rig with yellow wing tips on the underside. The video posted on page 1 doesn't help so the best pic I have is this:

Messerschmitt-Bf-110G4-Zerstorer-6.NJG101-9W+BO-Fritzlar-1945-03.jpg

There is clearly a yellow band on the rear fuselage but the wing tip undersides aren't clear. Did the yellow band mean yellow wing tips too? Odd marks for a night fighter

Actually I can't see the yellow colour on the wing tip undersides. The kind of marking is more characteristic for the "Ost Front" rather. So if the kite was servicing there it could "inherited" the markings. IMHO the Eduard might follow the pic seen below with the black painted Bf 110D and the fact that there is the yellow band on the tail. It seems that a couple of the planes had the kind of the markings applied while servicing in Belgium. But it wasn't the rule. Also the Eduard could follow the images of the aircraft exhibited in the Hendon RAF Museum. Anyway, the yellow wing tips are the Eduard's supposition only because the yellow band wasn't the rule for having the wing tips of the same coat. So ... it's up in the air. Just my opinion.

Messerschmitt-Bf-110D-Zerstorer-7.NJG1-G9+MR-01.jpg

g4.jpg

Messerschmitt-Bf-110G4-Zerstorer-6.NJG101-9W+BO-Fritzlar-1945-0A.jpg

the pic source: the net.

Having looked at those pics, there is a possibility there is Yellow under those wingtips, there does seem to be a slightly darker area outboard of the crosses, asharper image would solve the problem.....:)

Thanks for your opinions guys, much appreciated. I too see a little bit of contrast outboard of the under wing crosses. Might go ahead and paint the tips.

Perhaps John Vasco John Vasco can shed more light?
NIght fighters are not my forte. However, from the photos I have seen over the decades, particularly late-war, there is no hard-and-fast rule as to underwing markings. They were quite prevalent on the Bf 110s of the Wespengeschwader (ZG 1) on the Russian Front from January 1942 onwards, but for night fighters, one has to go by the individual photos, and the clarity of them. Sorry I could not be of more help...

Decal challenges. I used a test decal to see how they would respond - a small underside stencil hit critical mass and fissioned into small pieces so I applied decal preservative on the sheet and let it dry. The underside crosses were tried next and these went on OK, despite a few small tears at the edges. They are also off register a bit.

23082501.jpg

The fuselage side Balkenkreuz decided to pack it in though, despite the preservative. As I have no extras in this size, I will need to make some masks and paint them. Need to do that for the B and O letters anyway so no biggie.

23082601.jpg

All the more reason this one won't be done any time soon!

That wellenmuster is so thin and tight I wish you luck.
Thanks. I'm going to need it.

So far the only kit decals that have worked were the crosses on the underside shown above so I've given up on those and have started applying spares from other kits. Pics when I have a bunch of those done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back