**** DONE: GB-58 1/72 Grumman F6F-5N Hellcat - Nignt Fighters all Eras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here is one of the stranger design choices I've seen from Eduard. I love these kits, there is so much more detail then I can utilize. But when they did the wing bottoms, there are MG case ejection ports which are molded closed but all aircraft had them, and the rocket mounting holes are open when NOT all aircraft used them. They are right along panel lines of course so closing them up without ruining all that lovey detail is impossible (for me). Doing the best I can.
sprue4.jpg

Please make the optional mounting points closed so it's easy to drill them open instead of an evening closing them.

sprue6.jpg
I taped a small bit of sprue to protect the guns, worked so far. Found some very informative pictures as I started planning and paint for final assembly. Don't fret I'm a looong way from done. I'm using Tamiya X-4 gloss blue paint. Eduard provides 2 kinds of tires, a smooth (R) and a treaded (L) style. Also shoutout for making the hub separate part!! The treaded one is more "interesting" but there is a picture from a RAF Hellcat on a carrier that looks smooth.
archive3.jpg

Any thoughts on which is correct? I will go with the smooth one based on this image unless there is good reason not to. Next I was not sure if the night fighter would carry the extra fuel; I was pretty sure it would and this picture confirmed it.
archive1.jpg

White 6 doesn't show it's number on the engine cowl but 2 does. I'm going to put 13 on just because it makes the deckhands life easier. And here it is showing the white radome.
archive2.jpg

I just noticed when trying NOT to glue the elevators on backwards that they are not mirror images of each other as I expected. Here is the left one;
tail1.jpg

Notice the four small round panels just ahead of the hinge line.
tail2.JPG

Here is the right side, no round panels and it's the same aircraft.
tail3.jpg

Kit parts, top is the top and bottom is the underside, so just flipped them over in place. As far as I can tell, they are the same and could be interchanged. Did Grumman make one elevator that could be used on either side???? What a cost and supply saving but can the elevators have a symmetrical airfoil shape and rely on angle of attack only?
tail4.jpg

These plans show the same detail. That's one potential error that I can't make.

Yes the stabilizers and elevators were interchangeable. All of them had the same structure and mechinery inside. The airfoil was the symetrical one. The stabilizer wedging angle was constant and of +1.5°. The port stabilizer had the inspection round panels on the top skin while the starboard one flipped with the panels on the bottom. Both elevators had the trim tabs.

And a supplement to the rocket launcher mount ... IMHO the Eduard could follow the shot ...

Hellcat F6F-3 rocket.jpg

the source: the net.

Everything is painted and starting on decals. The painting crew had quite the party cause they just slapped the stencil on the cowl and let er rip. (It was the first decal I did and I usually put a drop of Microsol 2 on and slide the decal onto it. The instant it hit the Sol, it stuck and rather then ruin it, I went with a backstory; they also put a decal on the wrong side of a gear door but you will see that in the finish shots.)
progress1.jpg

I don't know why they put the circle on the tail so it overlaps the leading edge. Make the circle smaller or move it back. Oh, and I'm about to break that gun barrel off.

And yes, this one's for you Lucky13 Lucky13

Users who are viewing this thread

Back