GB 25-Allied Mfg.Aircraft of WWII. DISSCUSION

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hmm. I am thinking of turning the revell 1/32 scale MKIIa into a MKI. I want to do Eric "sawn off Lockie" Lock's Spitfire either EB-Q or EB-G. He was the top scoring ace of the BOB with 21 confirmed kills. He flew with No. 41 Squadron RAF.

heheeee..... Darn those double posts. I am afraid it means neither.

You know my friends I thought about this yesterday evening to try and take my mind off this nasty cold/viral infection I have and suddenly I got hit with a reality check sort of like being hit by a fart in church. That is to say I am not a machine when it comes to building these kits, especially 1/32 scale (evidence my Ki-61 in which I blew past the group build cut-off date) so given that I figure I better stick to a 1/48 scale build for this group build if I jump in. I have some Tamiya P-51's on the shelf so maybe i will build either the Malcom Hood P-51B or maybe I will build the old Hasegawa P47D bubble top as a 9th AF Jug.

Good decision, especially as the Revell kit, good as it is, would need quite a bit of work, and/or after-market resin, to make it even a MkII, let alone a Mk1.

I hear ya Terry. I did order a bunch of resin for it from Barracuda studios (they had a free shipping special on last week) but I don't have the bigger A1 roundels and Large Sea Grey Squadron codes. If I had to buy those its probably another $20 including shipping though maybe you all could help me out with that. Eagle Cal makes a nice resin Rotol prop and spinner for the kit to make a true MKII ( I say true because as I understand most MKII's had the rotol prop and spinner) but they want an astounding $20 for the prop plus shipping. I think I paid $29 for the complete kit.

There are a couple of other manufacturers making the oil cooler and radiator, prop, wheels and exhausts too, from memory not quite as expensive, but it all adds up.
Fortunately, I have a spare prop, wheels, windscreen and voltage regulator I can use on mine, so I'll either just modify the oil cooler, or maybe get a resin replacement.

Changing my mind again here. Now I'm leaning toward doing a P-51H, the last of the Mustangs. I've read that there were a couple of units equipped with them in the pacific before VJ day but did not see combat. I have not been able to find out which units these were. Any info on it would be appreciated.

Attachments

• p51h cut sm.jpg
    p51h cut sm.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 91
This Group Build is tempting...
I have a few kits in the stash that qualify and I haven't build anything allied in ages...
I have a Fokker TV in the stash at 1/48 which I'd love to do, but given the time table of this GB, I won't finish it in time I guess. It's a too complicated resin kit.
Though there is this old Tamiya Bufallo I resqued from the scrap heap. Would this qualify? It's a "started" kit I bought at a fair, but took it all apart and removed all paint so it's basicly a new build now. Friend of mine gave me a nice decal sheet for it. So I'm tempted to do a British Burma machine flown by Sgt Gordon 'Willie' Williams .

I'm not sure I understand the catogories. I now I don't qualify as a beginner, but saying I'm an "expert" is (somewhat)an overstatement. So how do I decided under which category I fall? Or is this up to the judges? (I never entered a group build before, so i'm a bit unsure on how things are done)

@ Glenn. I'd suggest to keep a Monogram or other P-51 at hands reach when you start the P-51 H.
HIPM models are short run and I find their smaller parts (like wheels, landing gear, etc..) to be rather crude. Imho these are best replaced with parts from a donor kit. (I once wanted to do their Bv. 141, but didn't have the guts back then...)

Last edited:
The decision as to where you fit is up to you, the judges do not decide, having seen your work I think your skills are in the upper end of the Intermediate section, but if you move into the more experienced category you would not be out of place here either.

Don't know if this was already talked about, but here's one question. What about Allied manufactured aircraft in service with the Axis nations? Does it qualify for this GB? Here's an example, Avia B.534 and Letov Š.328 were build prewar in Czechoslovakia, so an Allied nation. After the occupation they were pressed into service by Germans themselves and also by Slovakia and Bulgaria, both in Axis camp. There are plenty other examples for sure.

After the disappointment that has given me the store "pieza a pieza" of Spain, I have to look to make another model to cover the time between models, I put a list and thus make between those who want to work a little survey to decide which model
1/48, icm spit HF MkVIII RAF
1/48, icm spit LF MK IX RAF.
1/48, eduard spit MK Vc SAAF
1/48, paul classic Airframes boulton defaint, MK II night figther
1/72, pavla AR-2 Soviet VVS
1/72 RAF pavla lysander
1/72 Caproni italery ca311 armee de l'air.

Sergio, anything but another Spit.

Igor, either of those work for me. I'd love to see the Avia. Beautiful little plane that I hope to do some day as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back