GB-49 1/48 Fw190A-8 Nachtjager - WW2 Night Fighter

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Very nice one of my favourite builds, this is the original tooling by Eduard so it has the extra bits straight out of the box. Beware there are fit issues but a great build none the less.

This will be a fun build to watch. You'll be putting milage on the AB after you are done detailing this one. It's too bad that sound can't be added to posts. I would love to here your engine build vocabulary?
If you go over to Dale's you can listen in. It ain't polite

Yeah audio would be fantastic the issues I had was fiting the engine in and wing roots only glue cockpit on one side this will help if you would like to use spars but let's see what happens.

This will also be a 'lesson' on when' to attach those teeny little bits that hang down, attached in the areas where you 'always' grab the build. You carpet will be happy!
I really don't need a model to start a cussing fit. I am retired USAF NCO, I learned from the best and taught a courses on it to many.

Some of the issues are caused by a lot of the kits access panels, gun bays etc are designed to be shown open

The only problems i recall with mine were the wing root gun bays the covers are designed to be open so need sanding down a little to make them thinner to fit better and though the engine is fiddly to fit it is not that bad.

If i had another i was going to try and fit the cowl pieces to the engine before fitting the whole thing to the airframe, using the rear edges of the cowlin panels as attachments, rather than attempting to use the engine bearer pieces if that makes sense ?I

And i didn't bother with most of the parts for the nose mounted guns as i had everything closed up.

For me the most difficult part was to mount the engine. This creates issues with general alignment of the gun mounts and the top engine cover and the side and bottom covers aswell as the radiatir cover behind the spinner. To make a better fit I removed the engine brace from the firewall fixed to the engine then put this into the firewall. The most important thing to do is dry fit these parts and see how it fits together. I think leaving the guns till after the engine is in will save save a lot of heat ache as I kept breaking mine off.

20210316_222914.jpg

If you need any assistance happy to help.

Some of the issues are caused by a lot of the kits access panels, gun bays etc are designed to be shown open

The only problems i recall with mine were the wing root gun bays the covers are designed to be open so need sanding down a little to make them thinner to fit better and though the engine is fiddly to fit it is not that bad.

If i had another i was going to try and fit the cowl pieces to the engine before fitting the whole thing to the airframe, using the rear edges of the cowlin panels as attachments, rather than attempting to use the engine bearer pieces if that makes sense ?I

And i didn't bother with most of the parts for the nose mounted guns as i had everything closed up.
This is what I've already read up. Don't get in a hurry. Fit, test, fit again, test and then fit again. So I'm prepared for that. It looks like the pe dipole system has enough to do two plus planes.

yes those bits Wildsau highlighted i missed off or cut down.

i am actually looking for one of the first issue A-6's, mainly for the decal sheet but having built one i am more confident about tackling another.
Eduard got rid of a lot of the over engineering when it re-did its Fw190's i believe ?
Yeah the new is more like a Tamiya, I picked up and A-3 in overtree. Looks good.

Well getting to work. You have to pay close attention to what you're doing. I started by going through the instructions and highlighting all the steps that had to be done differently for my build. I then started by pulling the two side boards and sanding them down to take the PE panels.
20210316_144955.jpg
20210316_144957.jpg
20210316_145409.jpg

I then went to the instrument Panel and worked up the same way. I am using CA gel glue as it gives me time to adjust and does not run all over the place, really cuts down on the number of fingers stuck together and in my nose. UWWW, that's nasty!:p
20210316_145908.jpg
20210316_150056.jpg

After cutting the cockpit of the sprue, I had to go back and remove the nubs left on the inside or it would not fit in the fuselage.
20210316_151218.jpg

20210316_151312.jpg

20210316_151357.jpg

I then started on the rudder peddles, I always hate these but I decided to do them anyway!

20210316_153011-1.jpg

I then needed to glue in the side board in with white glue as a form spacer to put in the aft side panels. seen on the side. I can remove the side boards when the aft panels are in and then I can paint.
20210316_155437.jpg

yes those bits Wildsau highlighted i missed off or cut down.

i am actually looking for one of the first issue A-6's, mainly for the decal sheet but having built one i am more confident about tackling another.
Eduard got rid of a lot of the over engineering when it re-did its Fw190's i believe ?

Yes they did simplify it by quite a bit. Now you have to get the engine and wing gun bays as an add on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back