<> **** DONE: 1/48 Fairey Swordfish MkII - WW1 / WW2 over Water.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Partly done with the R/Ps. The sequence of work is to glue the inner and outer launchers to the mount and to work on the inner ones individually, add the rail details, thin the fins and glue them to the back of the motors, paint everything white, carefully hand paint the rails a steel colour, hand paint the R/P motors green, hand paint the warheads black and the hangers bare aluminum, paint the warhead nose white and, when dry, add a black stripe using a 0.5mm permanent marker, dry-brush silver on the launchers, add black pastels, then glue the middle R/Ps to the mounting plate.

17050301.jpg
17050302.jpg
17050303.jpg

With these close-ups, I see a few touch ups needed. Once mounted to the wing undersides, the back of the R/Ps will receive further details related to the Niphan cables. Thanks for looking in.

Thanks guys. Here's a question to those who may know. As I'm finishing off the ordnance layout, the instructions call out mounting of the cylindrical objects coloured red and yellow in the below pic.

61079-13.jpg

According to my cutaway drawing, these are "anti-shipping flares". The few reference shots that I have showing the underside of R/P-mounted Swordfish show no more than one of these on each rack so I may just do that but the question is, are these in fact flares and are the colours correct?

According to a couple of references these were the flares. Here is a pic with these racked. But I can't swear the flares were of two clours.

ani-ship flare.jpg

And here the layout of load used for both the Swordfish Mk.I, Mk.II and Mk.III. The flares are marked as the four small rings together. Also the number 7 and 8 show four additional flares in the fusealage.

Stringbag load layout.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you my friend. Looks like they also have a tail attached. Maybe it's a parachute pack?

I think yes. As these were star shells the parachute was needed to keep them going down slowly illuminating all arround.

And I found the entire image posted above with the caption. Not too great quality but the net does offer them just in the way often.

Fairey Swordfish.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work on the RPs Andy.
Can't help with the flare casing colours I'm afraid, but I think those that might have had a two-color case could possibly have been smoke floats - paralume flare casings were normally a single colour, either semi-gloss black, or dark green in RAF use, but I'm not that familiar with FAA ordnance and pyrotechnics,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back