**** DONE: GB-55 1:48 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.VIII - MTO lll

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks all. Everything I attempt to do has been learned from you guys and given me confidence to at least try. Finally got to spraying the innards. First up, Tamiya Flat Aluminum. Lots of discussion about what colour was behind the seat. I've seen both Aluminum and Cockpit Green. The late Edgar Brooks says the change over to C.G. was midway through the Mk.IX run but Mk.VIIIs destined for overseas duties "probably" had C.G. to combat corrosion from shipping. I found a photo of an Aussie Mk.VIII recovered from the jungle with a higher serial number than the aircraft I'm doing and you can clearly see Aluminum or NMF behind the seat so that's the way I went

IMG_2356.JPG

I decided to open the top lightning holes on the seat frame as well as the frame behind it.

IMG_2358.JPG

Thanks Steph and Vic. Weathering done. Gloss coated with Future, washed with Citadel Gryphonne Sepia, and flat coated with Vallejo Flat. This is the flattest flat I have.

IMG_2361.JPG

IMG_2362.JPG

I started chipping with a quilters silver pencil and then thought I would try something different. I used a mechanical pencil on the armoured plates and I really prefer the effect over the silver.

IMG_2364.JPG

I wanted to use the I.P. decal over the flat panel. As soon as the decal hit the flat surface it stuck tight, a little cock-eyed and everything I tried wouldn't make it budge. I even left it in hot water for over 10 minutes and it held tight. I painted the other panel Tamiya Nato Black and dry-brushed with Sky Grey. For the "glass", I used Tamiya Clear; that's all I ever use it for now

IMG_2363.JPG

And now for something completely different. You'd think Eduard would include something as significant as the hand brake on the spade grip. I believe every other kit maker does. This was absent on my other Eduard Spitfire as well. Grip still needs to be painted before I glue it in place and then I can get ready to button it up

IMG_2365.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back