**** DONE: GB-55 1:48 Wellington Mk 1C - MTO III

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

And yes it was of the black one with a red band at the front. ...

1540569497885-png.png
1540569430380-png.png

flare4.jpg
flare3.jpg

fss-jpg.jpg

the pic source:
wondering about the flares in a wellington bomber
USNBD, British Bombs and Fuzes, Pyrotechnics, Detonators; Section I - British Bombs and Pyrotechnics; Flares & Photoflash Bombs: 5.5 Reconnaissance Flare Mk II

An ambitious project given the limited timeline of the GB but a great idea. Looking forward to seeing more progress on this one Vic.
Hope you feel better soon. I got COVID at the beginning of August upon my return from our Caribbean cruise but it was mild.

Thanks for all the support Gents, it's very heart warming.
Time for an update of some of the bits I've been pottering with.

I've sprayed the internal airframe and only silver penciled out the frame structure.
20220911 1.JPG

With this build haveing a lot of open air space, I decided to follow Andy's example and add the forward rib structure and camera mounting which on my cutaway sketch shows this to be boxed in front and rear.
20220911 2.JPG

20220911 3.JPG

I've also spent a lot of time fiddling with the flight deck, the kit provided a duel control platform so some modification was needed. This deck will be visaible through the open airframe wall, so reasonable detail is needed.
20220911 4.JPG

20220911 5.JPG

Under the deck also needs some form of detail and as you can see, I've made a start, but more is needed, particularly in wiring and piping.
20220911 6.JPG

Lastly the instrument panel, this is the first time I've used the newer 3D decals, so much easier than the detailed PE. I stuck it down with PVA glue.
20220911 7.JPG

:D

Looking good Vic.
Note that, from what I've seen in photos, and after seeing both the RAFM and Brooklands Wellingtons, the fuselage interior fabric, aft of the cockpit, was in that dull red-brown dope finish, with the framework in aluminium. I can't post pics at the moment, as they're on my home computer, and I'm in a field in sunny Norfolk !

Thanks Greg and Terry, much appreciated. Though it doesn't come through well on the first pic above Terry, the aft of the cabin is a sort of red brown, I used a pot of old rust brown thinned out with a touch of white. :D

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments Gents. I've been pottering away with this over the last few days but its little things that at the time weren't worth a pic. Now I have something. Having put together a bomb aimer's sight and the forward panel. I chose to try and replicate the Mk IX sight as this was the standard fitting to the earlier bombers from 1939 onward but was eventually superseded by the Mk XIV sometime in 1942. The forward inst panel and framework is scratch built following the Eduard PE drawings.

20220917 1.JPG

20220917 2.JPG

20220917 3.JPG

20220917 4.JPG

20220917 5.JPG

Like many of you I'm joining the throng of you guys on vacation, so this will be my last update for a few weeks. My good lady and I are heading north to the UK visiting my family, my children, grand children and great grand children, the latter, all six of them I've never met, so its going to be quite something. Were also meeting up with Bill and his good lady for an evening as we pass through Sydney, looking forward to that. So good friends Ma Salama from this thread, it'll be back about mid October. :hello2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back