**** DONE: Polikarpov I-16 type 24, pilot Boris F. Safonov, 72.SAP

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

but look at these from page 1 posted by Wotan
02.jpg
03.jpg

what do you all reckon ????

those pics are great Bill, interesting that the wheels are same colour as the upper surfaces but the instructions direct me to paint them the same as the lower surfaces colour. anyy thoughts anyone ????

Last edited:
Although it isn't visible in the lower photo the top one does show a variation in the tone of the rudder. The wheels are a lighter tone than the upper surfaces despite being in shadow so I would say they were the same as the lower surface
The pics that Bill posted are of a restored example that looks like it landed with the UC up and has had the lower front panel just aft of the engine replaced as it is a different blue to the rest of the underside as is the spinner.

but look at these from page 1 posted by WotanView attachment 162786
what do you all reckon ????

those pics are great Bill, interesting that the wheels are same colour as the upper surfaces but the instructions direct me to paint them the same as the lower surfaces colour. anyy thoughts anyone ????

As memo serves the pic of the white 11 and 13 was taken during taxing. The well-know image of these planes is just a stop frame from a Russian documenatry. Both planes were moving. As a result their image is quite poor. The shot from the site posted by Wotan looks like being edited and corrected with Photoshop.

Concerning the wheel hubs... in many really many pictures these appaer light painted. It might have been the colour of undersides or silver. Also it is possible these were of light grey colour. Of course there are images with these hubs that look like dark painted too.

Attachments

• I16 wheel hubs.jpg
    I16 wheel hubs.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 177
  • I16 wheel hubs_.jpg
    I16 wheel hubs_.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
As far as the rudder goes Karl, Both the movable rudder and the fixed vertical fin were fabric covered and what looks like a slight color variation seems to be at one of the frames so it might just be a shadow...... or not. With all this uncertainty I think you would be justified in leaving it just the way it is, or if you like the way it would look with the red tip, go ahead and change it. It's up to you pal.

I thought it might have been caused by the sunlight and different angle of the fin top comparing to the rest of the fine surface. The White 13 seems to be without the red fin top. However I have found a profile of her with the red one as well.

Attachments

• I16 white13.jpg
    I16 white13.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 320
interesting stuff guy's, i think i may leave the fin as is, it will be a simple fix to add some red if a definative pic turns up.

thanks for all the time and effort though !!!!!

There was not any red fins at 72SAP

Here in the archives of articles from "Aviamaster" journals in Russian about the aircraft Safonov.

Another reference to "airpages.ru"
È-16 Áîðèñà Ñàôîíîâà

Attachments

• Aviamaster 1997 №03.rar
    3.1 MB · Views: 115
  • Avamaster_2003 №05.rar
    3.4 MB · Views: 98
When I was something very necessary, I use the dictionary for any language :)

right i'm saying this is done barring a few touch ups here and there.
it has taken 3 hours to fit the landing gear :evil: and it is a bit long in my opinion !!
but here it is, i'll sort out the finished thread with pictures later as i need a break !
hope you all like it and please be kind :oops:

Attachments

• Picture 048.jpg
    Picture 048.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 211
  • Picture 045.jpg
    Picture 045.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 203
  • Picture 046.jpg
    Picture 046.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 200
  • Picture 047.jpg