F-6C Mustang camera access hatch

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

HBPencil

Airman
Feb 22, 2012
Auckland
Hello all,

I've been looking at info online about the camera installations on the F-6C (recon variant of the P-51B/C), and while I found what I'm after in regards to the ports the cameras look through I haven't found a thing about any access hatches which I assume must have been added so ground crew could get at the cameras.
If anyone has some clear photos and/or diagrams of said hatch that'd be awesome 👍

Regards,

HB

I guess you ask about the fuselage camera don't you? The accessing hatch was located at the bottom of the fuselage like for the D variant , almost in the radiator air outlet.

F6D_Mustang_2grd.jpg
F6D_Mustang_camera.jpg

the source: F6C attempt.

Thank you, those are great pics!

I must admit that I'm slightly confused though, I had thought that the F-6C could carry a large vertical camera like the F-6D/K but now I'm not sure.
For what it's worth the Eduard camera kit for the F-6D has plans that show an extra hatch on the starboard upper fuselage to access the top of the vertical camera and so I had assumed the F-6C would have had something similar. source: F-6D cameras in 1:48 von Eduard # 648599

HB

Thanks mjfur, but I believe that hatch is to access the battery compartment and it looks like it'd be too far forward to reach the cameras?

HB

So I got the time to spend the afternoon looking for photos of the F-6C's starboard side to see if there was an extra hatch for the cameras and for now I believe there was... but only sometimes.
As examples I've linked four photos, the first two are of aircraft without any apparent hatch while the third and fourth pics do appear to have a hatch, inline with the cameras and in the area covered but the aft 'bar' of the national markings.

HB

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/wp-...02_118th_TRS_Collapsed_Gear_Suichuan_1944.jpg
https://www.worldwarphotos.info/wp-..._Chengkung_10-44_transferred_from_26th_FS.jpg

UPL 69931 | American Air Museum
media-418135.jpg | American Air Museum

Thank you, those are great pics!

I must admit that I'm slightly confused though, I had thought that the F-6C could carry a large vertical camera like the F-6D/K but now I'm not sure.
For what it's worth the Eduard camera kit for the F-6D has plans that show an extra hatch on the starboard upper fuselage to access the top of the vertical camera and so I had assumed the F-6C would have had something similar. source: F-6D cameras in 1:48 von Eduard # 648599

HB

And an excerpt from the Crowood Aviation book

camera.jpg

My pleasure. :)

Here is the next pic with the F-6C. It seems that the bottom hatch was put on the ground among the fim cassettes.

F-6C_camera_a.jpg

the pic source: the net.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back