Aleutian Island P-40K color codes

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bigmerle

Airman
Dec 17, 2018
Similar post yesterday on P-40 colors but specific to an Aleutian Island P-40K where can I find color codes for this aircraft? I know I've seen paint colors and markings locations in a T.O. somewhere but can't find it now. Not in the E & M manual. Any help appreciated.

IMHO...

Olive Drab - FS 30118 or 34086 up to 1943 and FS 34087 from 1943.
Neutral Grey - FS 36270 or
Sky Grey - FS 36463

However a couple of sources and pics suggest that there were Warhawks painted with the RAF type camouflage applied with the DuPont company equivalents for the RAF colours.

71-065 Dark Earth
71-013 Olive Drab
71-021 Neutral Grey/ Sky Grey

Curtiss_P-40K-1-CU_Warhawk_42-46319_Aleutian_Islands_Alaska.jpg

The pic source: Curtiss P-40K-1-CU Warhawk 42-46319 Aleutian Islands Alaska | World War Photos

Curtiss-P-40K-Warhawk-343FG18FS-Hicks-Amchitka-Aleutian-Isl-1944-02.jpg

The pic source:Curtiss P 40K Warhawk 343FG18FS Hicks Amchitka Aleutian Isl 1944 02

P-40K_flamin-mame_ref_01.jpg

P-40K_flamin-mame_ref_02.jpg

The pic source:Aleutian aircraft of WW2

I have the remains of three Aleutian island P40 42-10270, 42-10133 and other parts with no ID. I am building a K10 long tail early canopy version with those parts and patterns. Both my ID numbers are quoted by the USAF sources as being lend lease aircraft that never got to Russia. ALL fuselage and wing skins are solid olive drag without a trace of camo. The under sides are grey.

Didnt the British pattern camo use sky blue under rather than grey? I know the early AVG planes were that British pattern
As far as I have ever seen all Aleutian craft were olive drab. Hope that helps

I have the remains of three Aleutian island P40 42-10270, 42-10133 and other parts with no ID. I am building a K10 long tail early canopy version with those parts and patterns. Both my ID numbers are quoted by the USAF sources as being lend lease aircraft that never got to Russia. ALL fuselage and wing skins are solid olive drag without a trace of camo. The under sides are grey.

Didnt the British pattern camo use sky blue under rather than grey? I know the early AVG planes were that British pattern
As far as I have ever seen all Aleutian craft were olive drab. Hope that helps

Thanks for the information Brent. I'm looking for information to help a friend building a K5. Unrelated to paint color, Joe Baugher's site shows 42-10270 as "surveyed Pinellas AAB" which is now St. Pete Clearwater Airport assigned to 440th Fighter Squadron. Don't know what "surveyed" means in this application but would be interesting to know how it ended up in the Aleutians?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back