B-24 Liberator Diorama - 1/48th Scale.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks, Evan and Hugh.
A bit too painful to do any delicate work Evan, but got a little it done tonight, and hope to get more done over the weekend.

Sorry for the lack of up-dates chaps. Been out of action recently, mainly due to lack of sleep caused by stiffness, discomfort and some pain. Bit of flare-up with the RA - bl**dy weather here doesn't help !
Hoping to get back to sorting the nacelle joints and making the passing lamp in the next couple of days.

Thanks, Evan and Vic.
It's been darned frustrating, and my (minimal) sleep pattern has really been messed up, but I seem to be slowly getting back to what passes for normal. Got an appointment with my Consultant on Thursday, so I might ask for some more steroid treatment, to give me a bit of a boost.

so I might ask for some more steroid treatment, to give me a bit of a boost.
It worked!!

1712761899989.png

A few hours spent filling, filing and sanding has got those ugly nacelle joints sorted, and the wing leading edge too.
The joints were filled with CA where needed, and then filed flush, before sanding smooth. The work was then checked by applying a thin, rough coat of matt white enamel. Once fully hardened, the paint was sanded back, and then the cowling panel lines were engraved.
It looks a bit rough in the photos, but, once cleaned up I'm happy enough that it'll be fine when the camouflage colours are applied.

The passing lamp, between the two engines, has also been made, and has had an initial polish, and will be polished further once work on the wing has been completed, before masking for the paint finish.
The lamp was made by inserting a short length of clear sprue into the hole drilled in the leading edge, and securing this with CA gel, leaving the forward edge of the sprue just proud of the leading edge.
When fully set, the sprue was filed to match the curve of the wing, and then lightly sanded with with 600 and 1200 grit wet and dry, before an initial polish with a micro-fibre cloth. Final polishing will be done using "T Cut" (car body colour restorer).
The lamp hasn't been given a "chrome" reflector, as these lamps were illuminated by a red bulb offset to one side (normally outboard), which can only be seen from the opposite angle.

Next step is to finish this wing by making and fitting the cowling frames on the open section, and then move onto the starboard wing, which entails finishing the wiring on the resin engines before installing them and joining the wing, and then presumably repeating the work needed on the nacelle joints.
Once all that's done, it'll be time to start work on the fuselage interior, with some surgery and scratch-building.

Back soon(ish) ..........................

B-24 Diorama 483.JPG
B-24 Diorama 485.JPG
B-24 Diorama 488.JPG
B-24 Diorama 490.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back