Best piston engined fighter of 1945?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

herman1rg

Tech Sergeant
Dec 3, 2008
Following from Tomo Pauk's thread which I misread here's my question

What was the best piston-engined fighter of 1945

In historical context as history actually happened its got to be the P-51D.

That does not mean there were not individual aircraft that may have been better, or better yet the potential to be better under the right circumstances or conditions, but as things took place as we know it, its got to be the P-51D.

It was the right plane at the right time, combining the need performance, especially range to take the fight to the Germans…

If you don't care for a topic, stay out of it. Simple as that. No one is forcing you to take part in this "holy war."
Thank you very much for such a detailed explanation of such obvious truths. Nevertheless, I have the right to ask such a question, as it does not contradict the rules. I am really curious as to how many times this kind of discussion has already been started.

PS. I bet no new arguments will appear here.

Thank you very much for such a detailed explanation of such obvious truths. Nevertheless, I have the right to ask such a question, as it does not contradict the rules. I am really curious as to how many times this kind of discussion has already been started.

1. Its s polarizing topic.

2. You would be surprised at the new POVs and facts presented in these discussions.

If you are not interested in a topic, just find one that does…

Simple

This Forum is a place we can just shoot the breeze about one of our favorite topics. No new arguments could possibly be opened by now. We still like talking about these planes. It's as if we're hanging out in our living rooms with our friends and not worry about boring the other guests. I get to listen in.
One of my favorite threads is the "Groundhog Day" thread. The actual title is longer. It's all about one poster's favorite plane. It goes on for quite a while. Points are made and calculations trotted out. Points are refuted and errors exposed. Over and over. He was desperate to rehabilitate his favorite plane. It is one of the most entertaining threads we have. It was also very educational to the lesser of us who like their planes without the calculus. It was a hoot.
Sometimes we just like to talk about airplanes with friends. When it gets too stupid, the adults here corral the kids.

Last edited:
Best piston engined fighter of 1945?
Best piston engined carrier fighter of 1945?
Best piston engined night fighter of 1945?
Best piston engined high altitude fighter of 1945?
Best piston engined fighter-bomber of 1945?
Best piston engined in development fighter of 1945?

Changing one or two words changes a lot;)

And I have left a bunch out.

This Forum is a place we can just shoot the breeze about one of our favorite topics. No new arguments could possibly be opened by now. We still like talking about these planes. It's as if we're hanging out in our living rooms with our friends and not worry about boring the other guests. I get to listen in.
One of my favorite threads is the "Groundhog Day" thread. The actual title is longer. It's all about one poster's favorite plane. It goes on for quite a while. Points are made and calculations trotted out. Points are refuted and errors exposed. Over and over. He was desperate to rehabilitate his favorite plane. It is one of the most entertaining and threads we have. It was also very educational to the lesser of us who like their planes without the calculus. It was a hoot.
Sometimes we just like to talk about airplanes with friends. When it gets too stupid, the adults here corral the kids.

Well said Kemosabe.

This topic will come up again in the not so near distant future, and thats ok. And sometimes it leads to some discussion or data being posted and someone goes "Thanks, I did not know that!"

We're a drinking team with an airplane problem. :D

Ok, before we get entirely bogged down in the meta discussion of why we're having this thread, I'm gonna stick my neck out and say the P-51. It was just a superb design, with performance and range to force the enemy to fight, and win decisively. And in contrast to many other late-war very high performance aircraft, it showed up in large numbers to actually make a difference. Not to say it was perfect, of course. In 1945 it was lacking in engine power compared to many other late war fighters, although to a large extent it made up for the lack of raw power with amazingly low drag. And firepower was lacking compared to its cannon armed contemporaries, although it wasn't facing heavy bombers so this drawback didn't hurt it as much as it would have hurted, say, the Germans.

As far as quantity, the P-51D was probably the best overall fighter of the period, especially when higher supercharger boost numbers (eventually as much as 75+ in/HG, the Brits even ran them 81"/25 lbs boost) improved climb and speed to interceptor levels at combat weight. The Spitfire 14 was probably the best pure interceptor, or maybe the Tempest 5.

But that's only counting the fighters used in large numbers in 1945. The P-51H, which was a fighter of insane performance for the time for a prop plane in terms of speed, acceleration, climb, and range given its performance, was just entering service with the USAAF on August 15th. The P-82B/XP-82 Twin Mustang and the DH Hornet IMO were contenders for best twin engine fighter as well as the F7F Tigercat, but they were just entering production when the Pacific War ended.

There's also prototypes that didn't make series production as well, such as the XP-51F/G and XP-72.

So I do sort of have to ask does the scope of this question mean best fighter in numbers in 1945, or the best fighter, period, of 1945. And are we just talking props or can we include jets?

The P-51D was the best all round daylight fighter of 1944 and 1945 built in large numbers.

Aside from carrier fighter it could do (but didn't-night fighter) everything else well enough.
The Soviets were not impressed of the P-51D performance up to 5000m at all. I am not sure that P-51D was equally efficient both in the West and in the East. And I'm not sure the theorizing will help in this case.

In historical context as history actually happened its got to be the P-51D.

That does not mean there were not individual aircraft that may have been better, or better yet the potential to be better under the right circumstances or conditions, but as things took place as we know it, its got to be the P-51D.

It was the right plane at the right time, combining the need performance, especially range to take the fight to the Germans…
No argument from me for the P-51 series from 1944 onwards but the P-51D in 1945?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back