Boeing Names Independent Quality Review Leader

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Even if the airlines tried to do this….

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oAHbLRjF0vo&pp=ygUgSGl3IHRvIGxvYWQgYW5kIHVubG9hZCBhaXJwbGFuZXM%3D

…the passengers wouldn't follow instructions.

Agreed…

What I'd rather the airports do is use more than one door, like with the A380 below.

View attachment 769216

But instead use bridges/fingers at one fore and one aft door. Like this.

View attachment 769218

It's inefficient to have passengers at the back of the plane walk all the way to the front of the plane when there's a door at the back of the plane. Like Ryan Air below when loading with stairs.

View attachment 769217

They used to. I remember taking flights many years ago where they used multiple exists. As little as 10 years ago I took a KLM 747 from Chicago to Amsterdam and they used multiple exits.

I can recall getting on and off 747's where they used the front door and also one amidships. This was a big help for the people who were not sitting in the front of the airplane.

Once I got to ride in First Class in a 747. The flight into Atlanta was late so they had to put us late arrivals in First Class. Was not a pleasant experience. I was in the First Row of First Class, which meant I was sitting in front of the pilots. We hit turbulence from a winter storm and the front end was doing a circle not unlike that of a washing machine. If you were trying to drink something you had to sort of match the rhythm of the movement.

Even if the airlines tried to do this….

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oAHbLRjF0vo&pp=ygUgSGl3IHRvIGxvYWQgYW5kIHVubG9hZCBhaXJwbGFuZXM%3D

…the passengers wouldn't follow instructions.

What I'd rather the airports do is use more than one door, like with the A380 below.

View attachment 769216

But instead use bridges/fingers at one fore and one aft door. Like this.

View attachment 769218

It's inefficient to have passengers at the back of the plane walk all the way to the front of the plane when there's a door at the back of the plane. Like Ryan Air below when loading with stairs.

View attachment 769217

I remember debarking a 747 fore and aft on rollaway staircases, gathering into an accordion-bus or three to get to the gate. Can't remember the airport, maybe Heathrow in 1976?

I remember debarking a 747 fore and aft on rollaway staircases, gathering into an accordion-bus or three to get to the gate. Can't remember the airport, maybe Heathrow in 1976?
I suppose having a bridge aft of the wing would require changes at the airport. As it is, examples of dual bridges seem to be just to keep the first class passengers away from us mucky mucks, rather than to facilitate rapid boarding.

QYgz8.png

If the planes turn sideways, it can be done, like here... in the 1950s and 60s. When flying was pleasant, before airlines reduced us to cattle.

sfo-1959-small-1-bar_orig.jpg

sfo-jet-airwalk-small-bar_orig.jpg

Attachments

• sfo-1959-small-1-bar_orig.jpg
    sfo-1959-small-1-bar_orig.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 5
  • sfo-jet-airwalk-small-bar_orig.jpg
    sfo-jet-airwalk-small-bar_orig.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
:) LOL!

As I am reading this thread I am also watching a MythBusters episode focused on efficiency of the different boarding methods for airliners, along with the passenger's satisfaction with the different methods. It is actually pretty well done.

Last edited:
Easy, wait for door to remove itself then jump out - WARNING - for safety reasons, do not jump whilst
still airborne.

The reason we had the USAF A-7D's grounded in October 1975 was because the TF-41 engines had so many problems (quite possibly caused by flawed USAF overhaul practices) that they had to be removed and inspected frequently. Forced to undertake this greatly added workload the USAF mechanics figured out how to avoid removing the bleed air ducts by wrapping safety wire around the ducts and twisting them over so they could remove the engine.

I never heard of USN A-7Es, which also used the TF41 (albeit the TF41-A-2, a marinized subvariant, and not the TF41-A-1 of the A-7Ds) having any such problem, so I would think you may be right about those overhaul practices.

Why do you call them idiots if there was no sign to keep the belt on?
There brains weren't good enough to understand "protect yourself even if no one is telling you to".

Any experienced air traveler has experienced sudden turbulence with no warning from the cockpit - so they keep their belts buckled unless they are visiting the restroom, NO MATTER WHAT THE SIGN SAYS!

Sheep that do nothing they aren't told to do, aren't smart.

There brains weren't good enough to understand "protect yourself even if no one is telling you to".

Any experienced air traveler has experienced sudden turbulence with no warning from the cockpit - so they keep their belts buckled unless they are visiting the restroom, NO MATTER WHAT THE SIGN SAYS!

Sheep that do nothing they aren't told to do, aren't smart.

Lets remember, they simply can't follow directions anyhow. The captain on every flight recommends to keep your belt on at all times.

Boeing CEO Dave Calhoun will step down from his role at the end of this year as the plane manufacturing company faces increased scrutiny following a series of high-profile accidents, the company announced Monday.

Calhoun, in a letter to employees Monday, announced his plans to step down and revealed he had been "considering for some time" the appropriate point for a CEO transition at the company.

The letter opened with a nod to the Alaska Airlines midair blowout in January, when a fuselage panel on a Boeing 737 Max 9 blew off and left a gaping hole while the aircraft was 16,000 feet above Oregon. The plane was forced to make an emergency landing and though no serious injuries were reported, the incident prompted a series of investigations into Boeing's production and safety compliance measures.

"As you all know, the Alaska Airlines Flight 1282 accident was a watershed moment for Boeing. We must continue to respond to this accident with humility and complete transparency. We also must inculcate a total commitment to safety and quality at every level of our company," Calhoun wrote in his letter. "The eyes of the world are on us, and I know we will come through this moment a better company, building on all the learnings we accumulated as we worked together to rebuild Boeing over the last number of years."

Hopefully they will select a new CEO with a technical background this time. They had too many of the money-dangling bank-people that did no good to the company (just to their shareholders)

Hopefully they will select a new CEO with a technical background this time. They had too many of the money-dangling bank-people that did no good to the company (just to their shareholders)

This is the only way they will truly reassure both customers and shareholders. And even so, recovery from this will take a while.

As you all know, the Alaska Airlines Flight 1282 accident was a watershed moment for Boeing.
And the 737 MAX crashes caused by using cheap and crummy outsourced software to implement a half-assed solution to a serious design problem while very deliberately hiding the problem from pilots in order to avoid admitting it to the FAA WAS NOT A WATERSHED MOMENT?

But a door falls off and no one was killed or even seriously injured.....

And the 737 MAX crashes caused by using cheap and crummy outsourced software to implement a half-assed solution to a serious design problem while very deliberately hiding the problem from pilots in order to avoid admitting it to the FAA WAS NOT A WATERSHED MOMENT?

But a door falls off and no one was killed or even seriously injured.....

Be it known that those words were from Boeing's CEO, and not me.

Last edited:
Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton (R) is investigating a major supplier of aerospace company Boeing, whose flagship 737 MAX aircraft has been linked to a series of deadly accidents since 2018.

"The potential risks associated with certain airplane models are deeply concerning and potentially life-threatening to Texans," Paxton said in a statement.

Paxton ordered Spirit AeroSystems to turn over documents related to manufacturing defects that led to the grounding of dozens of Boeing planes — as well as documentation concerning the company's decision to fire whistleblower Joshua Dean after he reported them.

But part of Paxton's request for information also implied that the company's diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) policy may be linked to a recent string of dangerous mishaps.

"While we do not comment on investigations, Spirit is wholly focused on providing the highest quality products to all our customers, to include the Boeing Company," Spirit spokesman Joe Buccino told The Hill.

The Hill has reached out to Boeing for comment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back