Can anyone ID this Weird Bird?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Capt. Vick

Staff
Mod
Jul 23, 2008
Long Island, New York
Weird_Aircraft.PNG

This is a picture that is hanging in the Cradle of Aviation Museum that shows Roosevelt Field in the early part of last century. Can anyone ID the plane I circled in Red? Very curious looking. Oh, and another odd duck I circled in blue off to the right. Must be one of Mr Burnelli's early "Flying Fuselage" transports. Cool huh?

It LOOKS like an early A. V. Roe Vulcan flying wing, but could be anything ...

VulcanVeryEarlyDesign.jpg

The other one is so fuzzy it may take forever to identify. When I blow it up, it is all digital jaggies with square corners. It looks for all the world like a Bell YP-59A but is about 30 years, give or take a bit, too soon for that ... it will be fun trying to figure it out.

NONE of them are "easy" due to resolution.

A VERY interesting find!

Last edited:
That monoplane in the foreground - left (NC14719) is a Fairchild 24C-8C (1934 vintage) so that gives us a good idea of the age of the photo.

That goofy aircraft is most likely Waterman's W-4 Arrowplane NS13, built in 1936, flown in 1937.

He built several types, but the black "rudders" and shape of the vertical stabilizers on the one pictured identifies with NS13.

View attachment 298341

This is a picture that is hanging in the Cradle of Aviation Museum that shows Roosevelt Field in the early part of last century. Can anyone ID the plane I circled in Red? Very curious looking. Oh, and another odd duck I circled in blue off to the right. Must be one of Mr Burnelli's early "Flying Fuselage" transports. Cool huh?

20160714_125154.jpg

Went back and "clicked" this, the odd duck I circled in blue off to the right in my original post. I still content it must be one of Mr Burnelli's early "Flying Fuselage" transports.

Wading thru old posts. If you haven't seen this yet, NEAM has been working on the CBY-3.
Your mystery bird looks like the Burnelli American UB-1.

If the picture of the plane in the foreground is a Waterman Aerobile and it had its maiden flight in 1937 then the Burnelli in the background is the UB-14. It is also the "B" model since the original UB-14 crashed in early '35 from a mechanics mistake which made the ailerons fall off in flight. Awesome catch. This is the first new Burnelli pic I've seen in about 3 years. Been working on upgrades to his designs since 2006. Also, the only surviving Burnelli is in its final phase of restoration at the New England Air Museum. Check out the latest here... New England Air Museum

Users who are viewing this thread

Back