CF-5A Freedom Fighter Kitbashed 1/48 Monogram F-5E

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
Username: Crimea River
Name: Andy
Category 1 Advanced
Model: CF-5A Freedom Fighter
Scale: 1:48
Manufacturer: Monogram
Aftermarket add ons: Belcher Bits Decals, tons of scratchbuilding

Well, it's taken me some time to build up the courage to do this one. With thanks to Wiki:

Originally designed by Northrop as a low-cost, low-maintenance fighter jet, the F-5 was intended for use by air forces that had limited resources and technical expertise to maintain a sophisticated aircraft. For Canada, which had an extensive aerospace industry, selection of the F-5 was seen as a step backwards and soon received the derisive RCAF nicknames, "Tinkertoy" or the "Supersonic Tinkertoy." Selected originally to provide a tactical support role based in Canada, the CF-5 was also committed to NATO's northern flank to act a rapid-deployment force. However, the role for the CF-5 throughout its service with the RCAF was changed frequently and eventually, the diminutive fighter would serve as a light attack strike fighter, reconnaissance platform and trainer. Initially 433 Squadron and 434 Squadron were the only two squadrons to operate the CF-5. It was intended that three squadrons would fly the aircraft, but due to budgetary restrictions, the excess aircraft were put into storage in CFB North Bay and CFB Trenton, some later being sold to other countries. 434 squadron was assigned to do lead-in tactical fighter training for the CF-104, but was transitioned to the role of a rapid reaction squadron, being ready to deploy to Europe at a moment's notice in the event of hostilities. The squadron moved to CFB Bagotville with 433 squadron, for a short time, and then on to CFB Chatham.

The training role was adopted by 419 Squadron in CFB Cold Lake; it would continue to provide jet training, dissimilar air combat training (wearing quasi-Soviet "aggressor" paint schemes similar to USAF, USN and USMC F-5Es), and serve as a lead-in fighter trainer for the CF-18 until the aircraft was retired in 1995.

I'll do one of two paint schemes below but am leaning toward the 419 Sqdn bird with Ghost camo and Agressor Markings.

This will be a severe kitbash which I'll describe in more detail in threads that follow. In fact, to do this model justice, I'm not sure that I'll get it done before the end of this GB but will give it a go any way. Stay tuned.

Attachments

• CF-5A.jpg
    CF-5A.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 430
  • CF-5A 116766.jpg
    CF-5A 116766.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 386
Thanks guys. I'm with you there Harrison. I always thought the F-5 had nice lines.

Kitbash feature #1. I created a scale drawing of the CF-5A and overlaid the top half of the fuslage/wing assembly as shown below. Note the position of the elevators, which will need to be moved.

100522 Top overlay on Scale Dwg.jpg

Next, kitbash feature #2. Check out the line of the fuselage taper behind the cockpit between the kit part above and the plan view drawing and photo of actual CF-5A below. The CF-5A fuselage tapers to a point intersecting the leading edge of the fin whereas the kit part doesn't taper as much. This whole area will need to be cut out and modified.

CF-5A 3 View.JPG

800px-Canadair_CF_116_CF-5A_Freedom_Fighter.jpg

Next, kitbash feature #3. The kit does not contain wing tanks and I have scoured the internet for after market parts. Take a look at the below shot and note how the wing tanks are an odd ball shape. I'm going to need to scratch build these, perhaps trying to make my own resin parts, (gulp!).

IMG_0387.JPG

Next, kitbash feature #4. Note the curved lines of the actual CF-5A undersides at the wingroot with what has been provided in the kit in th epics below. I'll need to replicate the curve and modify the wheel wells to make this area correct. This won't be fun.

CF-5A%20Cold%20Lake%20017.jpg

100522 Bottom half.jpg

That's it for now. More butchery to come!

Nice one Andy! Always liked the F5/CF5, and I'm planning a 'what if' for a RAF one!
I'm fairly sure I have some details and scale plans I got from a Canadian friend back in the early 80's if they'll be of any use.?
I might also have a pair of the 'peanut' wing tanks, from the old Esci kit - I'll let you know if I find them.

great choice andy!

A good choice Andy. Is the elevator problem a matter of re-positioning of them only or of the fuselage length?

Nice little selection Andy, lovely clean lines and always reminded of Dinky Toys. We had the alongside the F.53 Lightning's at Tabuk, Saudi Arabia.

:hotsun: :hotsun:

Thanks guys.

Terry, I have tons of detail pics as there's a CF-5 mounted on pedestal not far from my home. That's where Itook the pic of the wing tank. The plans would be very useful if you still have them and so would the tanks - OBVIOUSLY.

Wojtek, I'm still checking and hope that it's just a matter of moving the elevators but I suspect there's a section of the rear fuselage to be added. I'm looking into it.

I'm looking to this build as gaining some experience with major rebuilding. It only cost me 8 bucks and if it turns out looking like something a dog ate, that won't bother me much.

Andy, send me a PM with a postal address, and I'll mail the stuff to you. I've checked it out, and the photocopies have faded over the years and won't scan well, so I'll send the originals. Doubt I'll need them. The article and drawings etc cover all CAF F5's, and their colours and detail markings, plus sectional drawings of internal fittings, wiring etc etc.
I haven't found the tanks (yet), but there's a plan drawing of them in the above stuff.

Yesterday at the model show, I picked up an Italeri F-5A to save on the amount of kitbashing I need to do. I also managed to pick up a set of decals for a CF-5A that comes with a resin refueling probe.

100530 Italeri Kit Box and Decals.jpg

The kit is extremely basic, a reboxed Testors kit, with very glossy, thick plastic and immense raised panel lines. Cockpit and wheel well details are non-existent so the Monogram F-5E details will be used here, modified to suit. Still missing are the peanut tanks, which I plan to scratch build.

100530 Italeri Kit Contents.jpg

The Leading Edge decal sheet comes with a refueling probe (saves scratchbuilding) and allows for 5 different planes, albeit all with the wrap around grey/green com scheme. So much for the aggressor scheme, the decals for which would have cost me as much as these two kits combined. I was particularly happy with this find as this sheet is no longer in production.

100530 Decal Sheet.jpg

So it's on to the build, as soon as I get up the courage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back