Dive Bombing improves accuracy how much?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ju-88s regularly dive bombed over Malta, with impressive accuracy.

I read so too. Also, the production design as is was altogether so different from the original prototypes that removing the dive bomb equipment and reducing structural strength alone would not turn it back into a low-level fast-bomber that could realistically evade interception like a Mosquito.

The urgent need for supplies for the forces fighting on the Italian peninsula led the port commander to oirder that ships be unloaded with the harbour fully illuminated. This was th4e first blunder. The second was the utter complacency in setting up adequate flak, radwar and night fighter defences over such a vital tartget. The attacking bombers therefore were providede with a fully illuminated target, and no night fighter defences. Their effective deployment of Duppel meant that the radar guided AA guns were totally inneffective agaiunst the attacking bombers.

But bad as this all is, the real killer came in the targets that were bombed. These included an entire ammunition convoy docked and in the process of unloading at the port. Two of these ships were detonated by the attacking bombers, which started a massive chain reaction that destroyed over half the port facilities, inflicted over 1000 deaths of allied service personnell and many thoiusands of civilian casualties.
None of this would have mattered if the 105 German Ju-88s had missed the target. Their bombing accuracy was superb. Something which cannot be said for most RAF and U.S.Army Air Corps strategic bombing missions.

Henschel Hs 127 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
What do we know of the Hs-127? Supposedly it was very fast.

Wikipedia says the Ju-88 won the competition because of a larger bomb load. However that doesn't sound right as the Ju-88A had the worst bomb bay arrangement of almost any medium bomber.

A side issue...
Why didn't Heinkel offer an improved version of the He-111? During the late 1930s the He-111 was probably the best medium bomber in the world with a large range/payload and a decent size bomb bay. Make it 30 mph faster by cleaning up aerodynamics and it is better then the Ju-88 in every way except it cannot dive bomb. It also cost a bit less to produce then the Ju-88.

None of this would have mattered if the 105 German Ju-88s had missed the target. Their bombing accuracy was superb. Something which cannot be said for most RAF and U.S.Army Air Corps strategic bombing missions.

Err, the aiming point was the warehouses, not the ships....the bombs fell wide by more than a kilometre, on a fully illuminated target, with no fighter defences and and no effective flak. They hit the ships by accident, and missed by a far greater amount than anything thought acceptable in the Allied air forces. Compare this to the precision raids undertaken by the allies, like the dambusters, or the raids on Amiens ofr the Dutch Gestapo headquarters, and you will get a better comparison of the two skill levels that existed in the three airforces.

Yes it's a sign of their utter incompetence they destroyed those 17 ships.

It would be great if the ships were the targets, but they werent. Moreover it was not the Luftwaffe bombs that destroyed the ships, its was the ammunition in the ships that caused the damage. And the accuracy of the bombing was greatly assisted by the full illumination of the target, the total lack of fighter defences and the incapacitation of the flak.

I am far from an expert about that particular raid. But how do you know the ships were hit by accident exactly?

And besides, you take this as an example of the inferior skill of LW bomber crews how? By comparing it to two very accurate ones out of hundreds of allied bomber missions in Europe, which were by average not even nearly as effective. It's like saying clovers have four leaves by standard.

I am far from an expert about that particular raid. But how do you know the ships were hit by accident exactly?

And besides, you take this as an example of the inferior skill of LW bomber crews how? By comparing it to two very accurate ones out of hundreds of allied bomber missions in Europe, which were by average not even nearly as effective. It's like saying clovers have four leaves by standard.

I know because I have an article that deals with this particular incident in detail "Baris dark Secret", by Edward Blandford, 1999.

Err, the Bari raid has been put forward as an example of German precision bombing, so why is it invalid to compare apples to apples and compare a stated example of a luftwaffe precision bombing raid to allied precision bombing raids. Sure, I chose some of the more well known examples, but these are just the better known examples out of hundreds that could have been chosen. If we want to compare apples to apples, and want to restrict the allies to non-precision raids, then we would need to compare that to non-precision German raids. That way we get four leaf clovers compared to four leaf clovers

"It would be great if the ships were the targets, but they werent. Moreover it was not the Luftwaffe bombs that destroyed the ships, its was the ammunition in the ships that caused the damage."

Bari's Dark Secret is a chapter in a book entitled "Fatal Decisions, Errors and Blunders in WWII" by Edmund Blandford. An interesting book but one that lacks citations to sources for the specific facts employed. I see no indication in the chapter that the intended target(s) excluded ships moored at port such that any bombs striking ships would have necessarily missed their intended target(s).

Also, according to the chapter you cited, bombs did destroy ships:

"Two ships loaded with ammunition were struck by bombs and blew up with the most tremendous blast that shattered every window within an eight mile radius." (p. 131)

Do you have any evidence that ships at dock were not among the intended targets? I ask because sinking moored ships, in addition to destroying port facilities, would appear be an excellent way for 96 Ju-88's in a bombing mission to inflict maximum damage on the port and keep it from operating.

Last edited:
I will have to check my sources again. The ships that were initially hit were all moored alongside, and the first bombs dropped by the germans were directed to the dock storage areas, rather than the ships. However the second wave of thirty aircraft may have targetted the docked ships, which included the two ammunition ships that caused the majority of the damage. I will concede that I might be incorrect that the Germans were not targetting ships, since they were known to be using swedish turnip techniwues, suggesting that at least some of the attacking aircraft wee designated the ships as their primary targets.

The raid as a whole was a well executed attack, but to present it as somehow the textbook precision attack without taking into account the circumstances that led to that destruction, namely that it was the ships themselves that caused most of the damage, is distorting the reason for raising the raid in the overall debate in the first place.

I think of Bari as a textbook example of what well planned strategic bombing can achieve. Rather then sending 1,000 bombers to attack an entire city the Luftwaffe used 1/10th as many to attack a target with serious military value.

Bari was known to be the main supply port for Allied air forces in Italy. A high proportion of the cargo was expected to be aviation gasoline and aircraft bombs. A few hits have the potential to cause massive secondary explosions. Exactly what happened.

Anyway.....
I find it interesting the Ju-88s attacked at low level even though they were perfectly capable of dive bombing. He-111s could probably have achieved similiar results using the Swedish Turnip attack method.

Let's attack this dive bomber accuracy discussion from another angle. Erprobungsgruppe 210 was formed during the summer of 1940, operating the Me-110C4/B.

Me-110C4/B. Fighter-Bomber variant of Me-110C.
WW2 Warbirds: the Messerschmitt Bf 110 Zerstrer - Frans Bonn
.....Additional armor protection for the crew.
.....2 x ETC-250 racks. Each rack can carry a 250kg bomb.
.....1,270hp DB601N engines. A bit more power to counter the additional weight.

How accurate were these Me-110s vs point targets compared to the dive bombing Ju-88s?

Erprobungsgruppe 210 never operated the Bf 110 C-4/B variant. They flew Bf 110 C-6s, D-0/Bs, D-3s, C-7s and E-1s and E-2s. There is a lot of incorrect information around about the C-4/B.

The very steep angle dive-bombing technique used by purpose-built dive bombers was very accurate, but it left the bomber extremely vulnerable to both AA and fighter attack.

Which not only led to the demise of many dive-bombers, but also to the demise of the dive-bomber concept itself.
JL

It seems the Germans became obsessed with dive bombing before they tried it out fully even the He177 was required to have the capability. The quote below is from Wiki but I also read it in the instructions to the Airfix model so it must be true.

During the final inspection of the Projekt 1041 mock-up on November 5, 1937, Ernst Udet stated OKL's new divebombing requirement to Ernst Heinkel, who replied that the aircraft would never be capable of it.[4] The He 177 had to be strengthened to support the stresses imposed by the pull-out from a dive. Unfortunately, the dive bombing requirement was later increased to 60° attacks rather than the medium angle dives originally called for, resulting in further structural strengthening and an alarming increase in weight. Nevertheless, the requirement to dive bomb up to 60° was never satisfactorily solved, due to the constant increases in loaded weight. Despite the specially strengthened airframe, it was still possible to overstress the airframe during a dive attack maneuver. While the German bombsights of the 1930's were in fact quite lacking, the follow-on versions of the Lotfernrohr 7 proved to be arguably as accurate as the American Norden bombsight. With the introduction of the Lotfe 7, which offered an average error of 20 m to 30 m (65 ft to 98 ft) from a release altitude of 3,000 m to 4,000 m (9,842 ft to 13,123 ft), and Hermann Göring's rescindment of the dive attack requirement in September of 1942, the barred-gate type dive brakes were omitted from all He 177 built after the initial pre production batch.

HyperWar: The Battle of Britain--A German Perspective

Summary.
An average Ju-87 dive bomber pilot had a 25% chance to hit within 30 yards of the aim point.

Summary.
A Ju-88 dive bomber had a 50% chance to hit within 50 meters of the aim point.

Summary.
German level bombers attacking from low altitude could place 20 to 25% of their bombs within 330 feet of the aim point.

Summary.
An average B-17 aircrew had a 20% chance to hit within 1,000 feet of the aim point.

If this data is correct then the Ju-88A was an exceptionally accurate bomber. When used as a dive bomber accuracy approached that of the Ju-87. Which leads me to think the late 1930s German emphasis on dive bombing was a good thing.

I dont know if these averages are from training or operations, its stating the obvious to say the effectiveness depends on the opposition and how well you can see the target and what the target is. It surprised me how many aircraft carriers were not designed to withstand any attack themselves, sinking a carrier with an armoured deck was a completely different proposition to one that wasnt. Whereas a dive bomber could damage the outside of the Tirpitz, looking at the shells it took to sink the Bismark then dive bombers couldnt sink her easily.

Whereas a dive bomber could damage the outside of the Tirpitz, looking at the shells it took to sink the Bismark then dive bombers couldnt sink her easily.
Perhaps true if we are talking about the IJN Val and USN SBD. The German Ju-87D could carry a 1,600kg AP bomb. That's like getting hit with an 18" battleship shell fired by IJN Yamato!

Perhaps true if we are talking about the IJN Val and USN SBD. The German Ju-87D could carry a 1,600kg AP bomb. That's like getting hit with an 18" battleship shell fired by IJN Yamato!

But the Ju87D didnt appear until a long time later and that bomb load was in the short range overload condition , Ju87s were in general vulnerable with a load like that they would be sitting ducks.

The SBD was the primary U.S. dive bomber during 1942.
The Val was the primary Japanese dive bomber during 1942.
The Ju-87D was the primary German small dive bomber from mid 1942 onward.
The Ju-88A was the primary German large dive bomber from 1940 onward.

That's contemporary enough for me.

The SBD was the primary U.S. dive bomber during 1942.
The Val was the primary Japanese dive bomber during 1942.
The Ju-87D was the primary German small dive bomber from mid 1942 onward.
The Ju-88A was the primary German large dive bomber from 1940 onward.

That's contemporary enough for me.

Dave I dont know what point you are making, the Tirpitz and Bismark were German ships and the Ju87D was a German land based bomber. When the Yamato was sunk it was hit by 8 bombs which damaged her and 11 torpedos which sunk her. The Bismark was hit by 300 to 400 shells of which approximately 80 were 12 to 14inch none of this sunk her she was sunk either by torpedos. I have no idea how far a JU87 could haul a 1.6ton bomb but I dont think it would be far and I dont know how a air dropped bomb compares to a shell. The Tirpitz was moored up in a Fjord and needed to be attacked by carrier based ac A bit like Germany attacking Scapa flow impossible with a stuka carrying a 1.6ton bomb

I was making the point about the target is important, few of the shells hitting the bismark penetrated her armour and none sunk her, the yamato was sunk by torpedos not bombs whearas aircraft carriers with unarmoured decks could be devastated by 1 hit.

I think of Bari as a textbook example of what well planned strategic bombing can achieve. Rather then sending 1,000 bombers to attack an entire city the Luftwaffe used 1/10th as many to attack a target with serious military value.

Bari was a textbook example of Germany doing the best it could with what they had to work with ie: medium bombers forced to do the job of a heavy bomber that didnt exist.

If Germany had B17'sor B24's during BoB it would probably turned out different. When British and American bombers attacked German cities in 500 to 1000 plane raids, the civilians were as much the target as any military installation. We won't even mention Japan. Why precision bomb when you can burn the entire country to the ground and not even have soldiers set foot on the island. German medium bombers were great examples of "jack of all trades, masters of none".

Could anyone imagine trying to bring Germany or Japan to its knees with 100 plane raids of JU88's????

Last edited:

Bari was a textbook example of Germany doing the best it could with what they had to work with ie: medium bombers forced to do the job of a heavy bomber that didnt exist.

If Germany had B17'sor B24's during BoB it would probably turned out different. When British and American bombers attacked German cities in 500 to 1000 plane raids, the civilians were as much the target as any military installation. We won't even mention Japan. Why precision bomb when you can burn the entire country to the ground and not even have soldiers set foot on the island. German medium bombers were great examples of "jack of all trades, masters of none".

Could anyone imagine trying to bring Germany or Japan to its knees with 100 plane raids of JU88's????

Looking at what the LW did to Coventry Liverpool and London with what they had thank god they didnt have heavier bombers.

The term medium and heavy is purely relative, the heaviest bomber you have is a heavy bomber. By that standard a mosquito was a heavy bomber because it could drop more bombs per night than a stirling since it could fly two missions to the Stirlings one. What was heavy at the start was medium or even tactical/precision at the end.

Every nation did the best they could with what they had, the B29 was designed as a high altitude precision daylight bomber but performed many raids at low level at night. Tokyo didnt have many raids substantially over 200 planes but it was made of wood (like Dresden) and paper.

The LW regularly raided london with more than 100 planes if London was bult like Tokyo and Dresden things would have been different, in winter an he111 could bomb London 3 times in one night.

B29 raids on Tokyo
19 February 1945: 119 B-29s hit port and urban area
25 February 1945: 174 B-29s dropping incendiaries destroy ~28,000 buildings
4 March 1945: 159 B-29s hit urban area[2]
10 March 1945: 334 B-29s dropping incendiaries destroy ~267,000 buildings; ~25% of city[2] (Operation Meetinghouse) killing some 100,000
2 April 1945: >100 B-29s bomb the Nakajima aircraft factory
3 April 1945: 68 B-29s bomb the Koizumi aircraft factory and urban areas in Tokyo
7 April 1945: 101 B-29s bomb the Nakajima aircraft factory.
13 April 1945: 327 B-29s bomb the arsenal area
15 April 1945: 109 B-29s hit urban area
24 May 1945: 520 B-29s bomb urban-industrial area south of the Imperial Palace
26 May 1945: 464 B-29s bomb urban area immediately south of the Imperial Palace
20 July 1945: 1 B-29 drops a Pumpkin bomb (bomb with same ballistics as nuclear bomb) through overcast aiming at but missing the Imperial Palace[7]
8 August 1945: ~60 B-29s bomb the aircraft factory and arsenal
10 August 1945: 70 B-29s bomb the arsenal complex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back