Do You Have an Illogical Hatred of an Aircraft?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

By removing the outboard cannon on each wing, and installing the dual cannon pods, the A5/U12 had a total of 6 20mm cannon (and the two cowl 7.92 MG) that was bad news for bombers or anything else that got in it's gunsights.

The only thing I can think of that was more deadly would be the A8 with the equipped with the 30mm Mk108 that replaced the outer 20mm cannon on each wing...but those remained in the wings :)

E-2 not produced
E-5 only 2 mg 17 on nose was recce
E-6 only 2 mg 17 on nose was recce
E-8 2+2 mg 17
E-9 only 2 mg 17 on nose was recce
F-2 1 mg 151/15 and 2 mg 17 (the Galland plane with mg 131)
F-3 1 mg 151/15 and 2 mg 17
F-5 not mass production (maybe only 1) weaponry not clear
F-6 only 2 mg 17 was recce (only 1)
F-6/U Galland plane 1 mg 151/15 2 mg 17 2 mg ff
G-5 1 mg 151/20 2 mg 131
G-10/U-4 and -14/U-4 with mk 108 (in place of mg 151/20)

I am going to have to check this out. You may be right, but the book I looked this up says differently. I will look it up when I get home however.

Hi,

The info I have, regarding the E series, is similar to Vincenzo's data. I haven't got data on F series or later.

The E2 variant did not enter production.

The text I referred to for this data is "Messerschmitt Bf109 A-E" by Willy Rodinger Walter Schick.

river

Last edited:
By removing the outboard cannon on each wing, and installing the dual cannon pods, the A5/U12 had a total of 6 20mm cannon (and the two cowl 7.92 MG) that was bad news for bombers or anything else that got in it's gunsights.

The only thing I can think of that was more deadly would be the A8 with the equipped with the 30mm Mk108 that replaced the outer 20mm cannon on each wing...but those remained in the wings :)

I don't think I was very clear. What I meant was is that the 190 didn't need gondolas to have powerful armament. But yes, I agree about the A5/U12! That's some real firepower.

A bit late for me. I dont think there are any WWII aircraft that I dont like. There is really only one post war aircraft that I dont have a lot of time for, and there is no logical reason really....thats the F-104 starfighter. Ive never been near to one, have only studied it on a casual basis, but it just doesnt ring any bells for me....

A WWII aircraft that I like, but which still annoys me is the Me 262. Such potential, so little result......

I have no time for all the Italian aircraft, probably because I have no time for the Italian war effort. And it drives me even further away when people try and protect Italy's effort with the "they weren't prepared" argument.

I have been determined to learn more about Italy's adventures through '36 - '45, but it's on hold at the moment! :lol:

Hi,

The info I have, regarding the E series, is similar to Vincenzo's data. I haven't got data on F series or later.

The E2 variant did not enter production.

The text I referred to for this data is "Messerschmitt Bf109 A-E" by Willy Rodinger Walter Schick.

river

Yes Vincenzo is correct, the E-2 never entered production. I wonder why?

I have now checked several sources and some are similar to what I posted, and some are similar to what Vincenzo posted, and some are different from what either of us posted. Vicenzo is 100% correct on the E-5/E-6, as it was only a recce version and had the armament reduced. I was messed up somewhere there.

Basically though I still stand with what I said about the Bf 109 not being under armed, except for maybe the F variant.

A bit late for me. I dont think there are any WWII aircraft that I dont like. There is really only one post war aircraft that I dont have a lot of time for, and there is no logical reason really....thats the F-104 starfighter. Ive never been near to one, have only studied it on a casual basis, but it just doesnt ring any bells for me....

A WWII aircraft that I like, but which still annoys me is the Me 262. Such potential, so little result......
Did you ever see that movie "the right stuff" about chuck yeager and the first astronauts? well known movie. There's a scene about the F-104 in that. Perhaps that should change your opinion :) :)

Kris

from fas.org:

On May 18, 1958, an F-104A set a world speed record of 1,404.19 mph, and on December 14, 1959, an F-104C set a world altitude record of 103,395 feet. The Starfighter was the first aircraft to hold simultaneous official world records for speed, altitude and time-to-climb.

I saw the F-104G a couple of years ago and what struck me and everyone else who ever saw it up close was how thin those wings were. I could almost have cut my fingers touching it!

Kris

I have no time for all the Italian aircraft, probably because I have no time for the Italian war effort. And it drives me even further away when people try and protect Italy's effort with the "they weren't prepared" argument.

I have been determined to learn more about Italy's adventures through '36 - '45, but it's on hold at the moment! :lol:

I realize this isn't part of the discussion, but in relation to the US invasion, much of italy's efforts were botched by political unrest in southern italy, where Musso wasn't well liked. I also took a crime history class in college that linked the mafia with the US war effort in southern italy. So in other words, it was a concerted effort from the local power players in southern Italy, that was feeding US intelligence. There was also likely sabotage that basically paved the way for a US invasion that made it even easier than it should've been.

Now, for planes i hate. I can't say i hate the Spitfire, but i just don' like it. Its played out.
but if i got a spitfire for my birthday, then i would take it, dont get me wrong.

:D

I went through quite a long period where I found the Spitfire to be dull and tedious (maybe like I am now with the P-51 and B-17?) and then, one day, it was like a light suddenly came on and I was awake again, now I can't get enough of it and this utter fascination has now lasted for many years! How bizarre.

Waynos, what's your favourite Mark ?

Kris

Ooh, varies a great deal as I am as flighty as a teenage girl on this, but my favourite is the Mark XIV with elliptical wings and 'original' canopy, all mean and musclebound looking. however I also have a soft spot for those very first few two blade, non-malcolm hooded mark 1's with their yellow encircled wing markings, especially when viewed alongside said Mk XIV.

I have an illogical hatred for the Spitfire's wings.

Now that IS illogical :lol:

Ooh, varies a great deal as I am as flighty as a teenage girl on this, but my favourite is the Mark XIV with elliptical wings and 'original' canopy, all mean and musclebound looking. however I also have a soft spot for those very first few two blade, non-malcolm hooded mark 1's with their yellow encircled wing markings, especially when viewed alongside said Mk XIV.

Good choice! Mine would be the PR.XIX and/or the FR.46. Talk about muscular - the FR.46 and FR.47 with those huge six-blade contraprops just look mean and fast.

Venganza

Last edited:

Now that IS illogical :lol:
I know it is, but something in my head does not like big weird round wings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back