DONE: Finished Kittyhawk IV -Curtiss P-40N RAAF 76 Sqn G-SV A29-1140 Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ozhawk40

Master Sergeant
Greetings to all

I would like to throw my hat in the ring with a build of one of my favourite aussie WWII aircraft. I've had the kit and decals in the cupboard for a few months and this a great opportunity to get into it!

For those who don't know me, I've been around for some time but my contributions have been in the technical area. I enjoy keeping up with the modelling section in this site. It really is a fantastic place for everything WWII aviation. I've recently returned to the modelling hobby after a gap of perhaps 30 years.

I reside in Perth, Western Australia and my first name is Peter, but have the username Ozhawk40.

As part of the build rules para 8, here is the info!

Username: Ozhawk40
First name: Peter
Category: Intermediate
Scale: 1:48
Manufacturer: Hasegawa
Model Type: P-40N
Details: A29-1140 coded G-SV, 76 Squadron RAAF, flown by P Off Kevin Donald about June 1945.

Accessories used: Ventura Decals, Resin Exhaust, Resin wheels and Eduard photo etch seat belts.

I started today, and will have the first update soon.

If anybody can rustle up pics of this exact aircraft I would be grateful. I've checked heaps of books, the usual suspects, but can't find one. Have the profile that come with the decals and also the one in RAAF Camouflage and Markings Vol 2.

Cheers

Peter (ozhawk40)

Attachments

• P1080612 resize.jpg
    P1080612 resize.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 633
Last edited:
hello Peter and welcome to the group build
looks a nice kit your doing, i'll check my books and stuff to see what i can find over the next few days in between work.
i'm sure others will be along with pics etc soon

So I understand that it is your entry for the GB Peter.I look forward to shots of the build.Now I'll make the thread as a stick one.

Thanks guys

Started with some priming and painting of the cockpit parts today. The first thing done was to thin the sides of the pilots seat. The injected part looks way too thick, and a little effort results in a better appearance. I probably could have gone a little further, but hey, it's done and painted now.

Attachments

• P1080614.jpg
    P1080614.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 384
  • P1080615.jpg
    P1080615.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 372
Well I guess some research is required to fill out some more details for this build. A dig in the National Archives has turned up the status card for 1140. It's operational life was a short three months and a bit with 76 Squadron being received by that unit on 2 March 1945 and "stacked" on landing 20 June 1945.

The cause of the accident seems a mystery. The status card notes brake seizure and the crash report which is also in the archives notes the cause as a pot hole. Whatever was the cause, doing a flip at 40 miles an hour and ending down side up would have increased F/Sgt Furze's laundry bill. :oops: That's later F/O, Mervyn Milton Furze

Attachments

• RAAF status card A29-1140 resized.jpg
    RAAF status card A29-1140 resized.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 405
  • RAAF crash report resized.jpg
    RAAF crash report resized.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 367
Last edited:
Actually this wasn't F/Sgt Furze's regular aircraft, as the plane was more regularly flown by P Off Donald, which is mentioned in RAAF Camouflage and Markings Vol 2. The chin cowl was removed and placed on the pilot's replacement aircraft A29-1193. I presume this means Donald's aircraft. Hope that's not confusing!

Cheers

Wow - I just realised the casualty report was prepared by 76 Squadron on the 9/8/45. Nagasaki. I guess someone was still working on the paperwork!

Last edited:
Good to have you in the Group Build Peter, and thanks for the comprehensive entry details - makes life a lot easier at judging time!
Looks like a great kit, and some good research there. I' think I've got a good colour shot of the P40 cockpit if it would be useful? Not sure about pics of the aircraft, but I'll have a look.
Terry.

Awesome choice for a build!8) also glad to see as Dan put it 'Fresh meat' in the GB

Awesome choice Pete!! I would love to make this bird one day aswell, I'm sure I have a pic of the nose art in one of my books. When I get hold of them again I'll have a squizz for you.
And Wayne, get off your backside and make Waddy's kite!! :)

Pete I've compiled a list of operations flown by A29-1140. Hope this is of some interest.

Noemfoor
9 Mar 45 – F/O Donald – Search for enemy a/c sighted by C-47.
12 Mar 45 – F/O Russell – Patrol over Noemfoor.
13 Mar 45 – F/O Donald – Strike – Geelvink Bay.
24 Mar 45 – F/Sgt Carland – Patrol over Noemfoor.
29 Mar 45 – F/O Donald – Patrol over Noemfoor.
29 Mar 45 – F/O Donald – Cover for pilot in dinghy.
31 Mar 45 – F/O Donald – Patrol over Noemfoor.
Morotai
20 Apr 45 – F/L Coombs – Air alert over Morotai.
24 Apr 45 – F/O Russell – Strike – Bivouac area at Wasile Bay.
Sanga Sanga
27 May 45 – F/Sgt Brown – Strike – Barges in the Tawao area.
30 May 45 – S/L Wilson – Cover for PT boats off Sandakan.
1 Jun 45 – F/Sgt Forbes – Investigate SOS signals.
3 Jun 45 – F/Sgt Mitchell – Air alert over Tarakan.
5 Jun 45 – F/Sgt Gowan – Air cover for convoy.
6 Jun 45 – F/Sgt Forbes – Sweep escape routes at Jesselton-Kudat.
8 Jun 45 – F/L Stewart - Sweep escape routes at Jesselton-Kudat.
9 Jun 45 – F/Sgt Moore – Sweep escape routes in North Borneo.
10 Jun 45 – F/Sgt Taylor – Sweep Mostyn area.
18 Jun 45 – F/Sgt Furze – Strike – Keningau airstrip.
19 Jun 45 – F/Sgt Furze – Sweep Ranau airstrip area.
20 Jun 45 – F/Sgt Furze – Cover patrol over Luton. Crashed on landing.

Thanks Wildcat!

Well that means it was flown by more than a few pilots and includes the Squadron Leader Wilson if I read that right. Very interesting.

I've found another profile in the "In Action" series, showing A29-1193 the recipient of the artwork. Don't think I can trust the colour description. These were all Olive Drab were they not?

Gratuitous inclusion of John Waddy's kite for Wayne.

Cheers

Attachments

• p-40 in action A29-1193 profile.jpg
    p-40 in action A29-1193 profile.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 1,285
Wayne

Yes, taken from Curtiss P-40 in Action, Squadron / Signal Publications AIRCRAFT NO.26

Here's the profile in Pentland's RAAF Camouflage and Markings Vol 2 of A29-1140.

Cheers.

Attachments

• profile A29-1140 pentland.jpg
    profile A29-1140 pentland.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 528
Well success at last!

Don't a have a photo credit, but here it is. Well it confirms this kite had covered wheels and shackles :shock: The two blokes in front look like they have been on a hunting expedition!

If anybody can assist with more, or a better quality version, that would be great!

Cheers

The two blokes are left F/Sgt Milton (Fuzzy) Furze and right, F/Sgt Frank Brown

Attachments

• A29-1140 stacked.jpg
    A29-1140 stacked.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back