**** DONE: GB-41 1:48 KAWANISHI N1K2-J "EARLY" - PTO from 1937

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Might be my oldish age thang. Still working on the cockpit sink marks. I've never done this before and the only way I can figure out how to work in such a small spot is to attach some sandpaper to a round toothpick and sand the putty. Very slow as the sandpaper fills up with putty pretty fast so I have to re-attach more sandpaper, wait for the CA that's holding it to dry and then attack. One last session should do it. This is how many pieces of sandpaper I've used so far, 9 pieces(don't ask) per session....
IMG_001.JPG

In the meantime, in between anger, I've been working on other stuff. The I.P., lots of detail. I'll give it a shot, if not, there are some really nice I.P. decals

IMG_002.JPG

The is a raised section in the center of the I.P. and I really don't think the one piece decal will conform so if the above fails, I'll use the three piece option. There is clear film where I place the pinkish rectangle and this will have to be remove to make it fit better around the center gauges.

IMG_003.JPG

Every other kit maker can make that a one piece part. I get it that Hasegawa loves to add those rubber pieces to make parts removable but c'mon

IMG_0017.JPG

Started painting the engine as well, three different silvers with one more to go once I get the above piece together. I notice now some touch-ups are required

IMG_0025.JPG

dmb question Geo, but do you even need the decal? I know if this were my build I would, but that IP has such nice detailing and you have applied the base coat so well, would it not be at least worth a try to attempt to paint the IP dials?

Thanks Terry and Glenn. I'll try that sand paper thang the next time....because we all know there will be a next time. Finished the details and a few touch-ups to do. I painted the stringers and wiring with straight XF-58 Olive Green in an attempt to break up the monotony. Added that half red marking to the I.P. using a needle The trim wheel was painted XF-60 Dark Yellow to simulate the wood. This should be a ring but that ain't gonna happen. I need to find out what those four nubs are on the rear bulkhead. They look like oxygen bottle tops. I'm going to try using artist oils as a wash for the first time as well as a pin wash for weathering for the first time. I'll gloss coat this once everything has dried.

1550524899155.png

Not sure but possible.

Edit: yes these seem to be black with brass valves and black valve hand wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back