**** DONE: GB-42 1/48 Spitfire Mk.Vb - MTO II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Whacking great attachment point...

IMG_0001.JPG

...more whacking great attachment points and mold shift(?) Not happy with attachment point locations as it took forever to clean up...

IMG_0004.JPG

....again it took a long time to clean up the trim wheel...

IMG_0005.JPG

Steps 1 & 2 parts, minus throttle quadrant...

IMG_0006.JPG

Steps 1 & 2 complete with throttle quadrant. I'll let the glue dry and tidy it up

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG

Its not too bad Karl..............yet? Many past build out there too help get passed the pitfalls. I'm glad I worked on the cover right off the get-go to get that major hurdle off my mind. A small issue coming up; because of the CAD "precision" in making the kit, any paint or left over attachment point may hinder assembly. It's mentioned in a few builds that the slots in the fuselage side walls were a bit narrow and needed to be widened to accept the cockpit. I just did a test fit and the left side was snug and the rear slot on the right side was very snug.

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

I'll widen it out a bit and watch out where the paint goes. Note the half circle hole on the bottom of the sidewall halves. This is where the ID(?) light ends up after it goes through the fuselage. Several builders had problems here; the hole is too small and the clear part may interfere with the cockpit. As it won't be seen in the end, I'm going to make it flush with the fuselage

Last edited:
Thanks. Seat is done.

1558714869134.png

At this stage of the war, would part of the harness go through the notch in the seat back or just over the top and into the fuselage?

Forgot the seat adjustment lever, seat is now done. Parts for the next step: armour and seat frame which is in four parts. I have since opened the slot in the head armour plate to accommodate the seat harness.

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

Good stuff Geo. I have yet to see a manufacturer that doesn't make the sides of that seat look like 2 inch slabs of granite. I always file them down to make them thinner.

01_kpit_003-475x640.jpg

I totally dropped the ball on that Andy. The sides were separate and it would have been so easy to thin. It was only after I had painted it that smart George showed up for the build. Anyhoo...........the rudder pedals and more great whacking attachment points.

IMG_0003.JPG

Preferring not to incur puncture wounds, I opened up the pedals while they were still attached.

IMG_0007.JPG

I.P. prepped for the deecal

IMG_0008.JPG

A.1 is pointing to the part of the decal that needs to be removed and placed separately as it won't fit
IMG_0009.JPG

Thanks guys. Finally started painting. First up, the aluminum bits using Tamiya X-32 Titanium Silver. I like this over the XF-16 Flat Aluminum as I think it adds a bit of depth. I will go over the bottles with the -16. I'm not too bothered about the ejector marks; it going to be darkish back there looking through the brace, around seat harness parts and through clear plastic.

1558852136594.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back