**** DONE: GB-49 1:48 XP-51 - Favourite A/C of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here's the result of 3 days of struggles.
The decals went on fine but then when doing some touch up painting I picked it up not realizing my finger was wet with brush cleaner and wrecked the paint on the side of the fuselage in two panels of two different shades of silver. Mask, paint, let dry, mask, paint, let dry.
Then there were the wings.
I did not like the texture on them so I masked them off again and sprayed then with Dull Coat. Really didn't like the look of them now and clear the decal film was somewhat visible on the under wing U.S. ARMY decals, so I brushed on a two coats of Future. I liked it better but the brush left streaks that were pretty visible so I pulled out the airbrush and sprayed another three coats of Future.
After letting it dry a bit I decided that it was as good as it was going to get and pealed off all the remaining masking and it actually looked a lot better than I thought it would and I am now happy with it.
The tape on the bottom of the fuselage in one of the pictures isn't for masking, its there to protect the paint until I get it on its landing gear.
It still needs a dab of paint here and there and the number and Wright arrowhead decals still need to go on, then the panel line work and its on to the breakable bits.
I should make the deadline Ok.
Fingers crossed

P1013317.JPG
P1013318.JPG
P1013319.JPG
P1013320.JPG

Worked 14 hours yesterday so could not get anything done. I will be going out of town right after work today until the end of next week so it will be a rush to finish when I get back.

Hopefully I can finish it up that last weekend but this build has had a history of throwing up unexpected road blocks.
Not a whole lot left to do: Remaining decals(arrowhead, tail & nose numbers), panel lines, landing gear (painted but not assembled), and Hypodermic machine gun barrels.

Oh crap, haven't painted the tail gear doors yet. Maybe I can do that quick before I take off tonight

Thanks guys

As mentioned in the extension thread, I've lost my bench time this coming weekend so will not finish by Sunday night.
I've been switched to second shift today and am working on the number decals now and will get as much done as I can before leaving for work this afternoon. It's slow going, 4 sets of 4 numbers each, all separate small numbers pieced together from spare decal sheets. I'm going cross-eyed already.
Pictures when the decals are finished.

The numbers and the Wright arrowhead decals are on and sealed. I had to turn a couple of zeros into eights on the nose and had problems with both threes on the tail. One folded up on me after the setting solution and I had to make it right with a paint and a very fine brush, while the other one gave me a panic attack when it went missing after it was cut out. A ten-minute search of the bench turned it up so all was well.
That will be it for me until early next week.

P1013321.JPG
P1013322.JPG
P1013323.JPG
P1013324.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back